S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Scary paint chip repair

Old 09-14-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the kind of thread that pushed me to purchase
a membership.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:12 PM

Ok, I am a bit confused.

After I fill in the chip with paint, do I have to wait a week or so before I wetsand it and polish? Or can I wetsand and polish the newly filled in chip once it dries (8hrs or so later).

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use clay, the paint has to be fairly soft to level it, about 2-8 hours depending on temp. After leveling it, you have to wait about 1-2 weeks for the remaining leveled paint to set/dry before even thinking about polishing/blending, otherwise it will come off.

If you wetsand, the paint needs to be dry...1-2 weeks,. Since the paint can withstand sanding, it will also withstand polishing.

Hope that clears up your confusion.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 PM

^Thanks. I was just under the impression that you did it all in one day from your original post.

Since my car is stored for the winter, I guess I can "paint" away and wetsand/polish in the spring. Do I just goto my local dealership and ask for a paint pen? or is that different from the normal bottle of touchup paint I can get?

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just used a pen on my scratch that showed up at a top down meet months ago. It was very thin but very deep scratch. I put the paint pen to work carefully not to overlap more then needed onto unscratched fender. I have done this before however and usually give 2 hrs for paint to setup some of the way. Of course paint will continue to breathe (which equates to the shrinking) so I try to put on a thinner coat expecting the dry time to decrease and thus less shrinking effect. I did a 2nd coat a 2 weeks later, a very thin coat and used the clay bar i already had from regular paint cleaning. Mothers brand. Worked fine, can't even find the scratch.

key points

-correct dry time should be LESS then 2 hrs at any reasonable temp.
-Clay bar with rapid motion rather then lots of pressure (this helps it to only take off the bubble and not go too deep).
-Use multiple thin coats as the shrinking will be minimized.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:00 PM

You dont mind me asking but what is PC?

Question Thetz99 - Your chips dont look too bad. My chips are down to black and a little deep. Can I do what you just did? Another thing...did you use paint in the process?

By the way...great job!
Old 04-13-2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by jmike,Apr 13 2008, 05:00 PM
You dont mind me asking but what is PC?

Question Thetz99 - Your chips dont look too bad. My chips are down to black and a little deep. Can I do what you just did? Another thing...did you use paint in the process?

By the way...great job!
Searcb really is your friend

A pc is a random orbital sander/buffer. There are various color-coded pads that can be used on the pc that vary according to the job at hand. Various combinations of polish and pad provide different degrees of "cutting" power (amount of paint/clearcoat removed for every pass).

Here are what a Porter Cable (pc) and accessories look like

You basically fill in the paint "holes" with a paint stick you get from the dealership. I recomment CLAY over sandpaper now to level off the paint "blob", so scan up a few posts to get the technique for that.

Thanks for the props
Old 04-14-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am about to attempt the claybar method on my Silverstone... however, one of the chips has only chipped away the clear coat. Perhaps I will try just a Clear Coat Pen from honda for that chip?

Also, is it absolutely necessary to use an aggressive polish? I have a whole supply of Zaino polish/sealants but no swirl removers/intensive polishes...
Old 04-14-2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by ss04,Apr 14 2008, 10:00 PM
I am about to attempt the claybar method on my Silverstone... however, one of the chips has only chipped away the clear coat. Perhaps I will try just a Clear Coat Pen from honda for that chip?

Also, is it absolutely necessary to use an aggressive polish? I have a whole supply of Zaino polish/sealants but no swirl removers/intensive polishes...
Sounds like you don't have a pc either. Zaino's polish is really just a swirl filler and sealant...there is no aggressiveness to it. To blend you need some compound effect to remove the micromarring.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by thetz99,Apr 13 2008, 11:16 PM
Searcb really is your friend

A pc is a random orbital sander/buffer. There are various color-coded pads that can be used on the pc that vary according to the job at hand. Various combinations of polish and pad provide different degrees of "cutting" power (amount of paint/clearcoat removed for every pass).

Here are what a Porter Cable (pc) and accessories look like

You basically fill in the paint "holes" with a paint stick you get from the dealership. I recomment CLAY over sandpaper now to level off the paint "blob", so scan up a few posts to get the technique for that.

Thanks for the props
WRONG!

a PC is a Personal Computer

Quick Reply: Scary paint chip repair