S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

s2000 zaino polished s2k

Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh,Jan 25 2011, 03:39 PM
No, I don't buy polishes to test them, so I can't give a firsthand account. That said, people who know a lot more about this than I do seem to really like the stuff.

And the above post lists Zaino as one of his favorite sealants, so I'm not sure of your point there.

Regardless, to assume something is junk just because it uses 10 year old technology is pretty ridiculous.
What are we talking about here polish, sealant, wax? Seems like you are swerving back and forth as if its the very same thing.

I was referring to my post above the reply to you not the list by Dcon67 some of his stuff is OK but some not so much. Also btw Z5 is a glaze not a sealant if you read the description on the zaino site or even the bottle if you have it.

And lastly I never said that zaino products were junk I only said that they were good 10 years ago but that time has passed and new easier to use products are out. You guys seem like die hard zaino users and thats fine but I'm out. Trying to help out and get flamed by guys that are closed minded is a never ending battle.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by rwdCivic,Jan 25 2011, 12:08 PM
Price? A Zaino kit with all the stuff needed is much more than a bottle of Menz PL, BFWD or OS and you save hours with the application and removal.
Not true. Zaino really isn't any more pricey than the competitors if you compare the price of an actual bottle of polish (a bottle of Z5 is $16.95). Compared to what? Menzerna Power Lock -$24.99, Blackfire Wet Diamond - $29.99. If you want to see expensive, check out pricing on some of the Zymol waxes ($18.00 for 2oz of detail wax), and that's a relatively reasonably priced one.

Granted, to maximize durability with Z5/Z2 you also need to use either Z-AIO or the ZFX additive ($19.95), but ZFX is good for at least two bottles of polish. So that brings the cost of the Zaino to $26.95...right in line with the others.

As to your claim of saving hours of time...that also sounds like someone that has never actually used Zaino. It takes 20 seconds to add the two drops of ZFX into the bottle and shake it. Once that's done the application time is the same for all three, then I'd say the Zaino probably dries quicker than the others. (It's usually around 30 minutes to haze over and be ready to wipe off). People complaining about the long process, are including the time it takes to wash, clay, wash again...and then put several coats of sealant on the car. (It's true that the shine get's better with more than one application...but it's not something that you have to do. You'll just want to, to get the shine as deep as you possibly can.) Just like adding a coat of wax on top as a LSP on any sealant will also deepen the shine. To each their own.

EDIT...Z5 is a Sealant/Glaze, so substitute Z2 for Z5 then if you like. Z5 contains fillers to help hide swirls on dark cars. Z2 has no fillers, so it will do nothing to hide them if you're car isn't perfectly polished. Z2 also costs less ($14.95), so I was making the comparison with the more expensive product.

And yes, I guess I'm probably am a pretty die hard Zaino user...but I got there by trying a lot of other products along the way first. Zaino is just the one I kept coming back to.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 PM

wow guy's, I didnt think this thread would turn out like this, but I do appreciate all the comments. I think I'll stick with the Zaino line but was wondering what LSP could I use before applying Zaino? My car is a Suzuka Blue Met in excellent shape, very very minor swirls/scratches on the paint. When I say minor I mean you have to have a very good eye to see any defects at all. Most people don't see them but me, lol. I've attached a couple of pics to show how good the paint is. Hope you enjoy them. P.S - These pics were taken with only 2 coats of Zaino Z2 applied to my car over a 3 month period. I used the Zaino Z8 once every 2 weeks after I first applied the Z2.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:34 PM

An LSP is a Last Step Product...it would either be the Z2, or it could be a wax top coat over it, something like P21S would be a good choice.

If you're looking for a suggestion on polishes to remove the swirls...then as RwdCivic said, Menzerna is an excellent choice. If you want to stick with Zaino, I know of people that state they've had great results using Z-PC. Personally, I like Optimum polishes (mainly because I polish out in my driveway, so I need something sun friendly...which Menzerna is NOT).
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM

Thanks Dcon67 for you reply. I meant to say a finishing polish not a last step polish. lol
Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice....
Old 01-26-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Looks great Nelson !, paint is in great condition, good work bud.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rwdCivic,Jan 25 2011, 08:56 AM
I know there are people still out there that use and the reason behind it was it was pretty good stuff 10 years ago but technology changes and for the most part Zaino's line has fallen behind.
I fully understand your assertion. However, rather than snarkily reply "People still use zaino? What is this 1999?", try suggesting alternatives and explaining the benefits (which you did later in this thread). While someone may be a stubborn Zaino fan, the next Zaino fan may just be ignorant regarding the alternatives. Others may have other reasons for preferring Zaino or whatever product they're using.

Originally Posted by rwdCivic,Jan 25 2011, 08:56 AM
If you use it great but I see no point in playing amateur chemist when you don't have to and get better results with other products.
Thanks for assuming, but I've moved on.

Originally Posted by rwdCivic,Jan 25 2011, 12:08 PM
Were talking detail products not the evolution of Honda technology stay on topic.
You brought up the advancement of newer technology as an argument against Zaino. Newer technology for the sake of newer technology is pointless IMO and is just as close-minded as stubborn Zaino fans. If one perceives a benefit (and not everyone will for any given new tech) then there's something to be gained. If someone's happy with Zaino -- for whatever reason -- why does it matter to you? Are you a stakeholder in one of its competitors?

deepbluejh's analogy is relevant. There have definitely been cars with newer tech and even better performance than the S since it was introduced but that doesn't mean that every S owner is going to suddenly ditch the S for the newer, shinier tech. One size does not fit all and personal preference has always played a big part in Wash & Wax.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Good thing I didn't mention using Liquid Glass, that could have really heated things up, it's so old school, lol.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a fantastic looking finish. Nice job!

Quick Reply: s2000 zaino polished s2k