S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

S2000 + automatic car wash

Old 11-21-2001, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 + automatic car wash

Is there anything I should be worried about? I haven't read any articles about the quality of the top seal on the S. It looks really tight to me but I would like to input from the experienced.

It's getting a little too cold to wash the car myself.

TIA,
Old 11-21-2001, 07:35 AM

if you love your car at all don't take it to an automatic car wash. first and foremost it will scratch up your paint job. second the soap and everything else will ruin your top. next doesn't the s2k deserve better? if you're not going to do it yourself take it to a hand wash place. even then it's not the best thing to do.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:02 AM

Dare I mention now that its a daily driver which will see snow, salt, rain etc.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:19 PM

Use hot water and rubber gloves and hand wash your S, unless you want a swirly mess.
Old 11-21-2001, 04:18 PM

Have you tried asking the local Honda dealer? Most of the chevy dealers around here are nice enough to "rent" out their detailing bay so you can wash during the winter. It's usually around $10. Just bring your own stuff, you don't want to use thiers.

Most upscale cars can get special treatment if they ask.
Old 11-21-2001, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SoloVR6, in my area, we have a type of car wash that circles your car on a track and nothing touches the car but the water and soap.

IMO, this is better than nothing and it will be my last resort this winter. It isn't the best wash that you'll get, but it should get the salt, etc. off of the car. There is one slight problem with my car: both windows leak at the top back corner. I imagine that most of the S2000's will leak there. Bring a towel and be ready (it's no big deal).

Bob
Old 11-21-2001, 07:40 PM

<we have a type of car wash that circles your car on a track and nothing touches the car but the water and soap. >

We have the same thing here in Anchorage. I use it for my wife's ML320 and have never had a problem with it. One thing you need to ask the operater is how harsh the detergents are (of course they'll tell you "oh, it's fine). You may need to ask what kind, or how much detergent they use to get an idea of how quickly this type of wash will peel your wax off (and it will!).

Be sure to do your windows at the gas station (or bring your own squeegy), and I normally spray the wheels with a spray & soak type product before I go through the touch-less wash as this type system is pretty bad in both those areas.

As for taking my S2000 through one of these......NEVER!
Old 11-22-2001, 01:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Auto car wash? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Mine's a daily driver and in winter, I wash it in my heated garage. Car wash soap in a bucket of warm water and wash mit. I run my garden hose down to my basement and connect to my utility taps and wash & rinse car with warm water, water blade it and I'm done. I'll leave it overnight to dry a bit so it won't freeze up the locks and doors. If you don't have a heated garage that's handy to a water tap, then go to a car wash with the spray nozzles and don't spray directly at the window seals. You'll still have a problem with locks freezing up unless you spray some methanol into the locks right away. Dry the rubber seal on where the doors meet the car so they don't freeze up.
Old 12-01-2001, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used one of those laser jet systems that say will never touch your car. All they do is spray high pressured water on your car. IT works well taking off the salt and road grime. The only problem is that when the water sprays sideways, onto the windows, it tends to leak up into the top, and come in. I didn't notice this until in the middle of the cycle, and was surprised with a very wet left arm. It leaked a good deal.

So.... i learned never to take it to one of those automatic car wash places again..
Old 12-01-2001, 08:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dkhl
[B]i used one of those laser jet systems that say will never touch your car.

Quick Reply: S2000 + automatic car wash