S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Rough layer of some sort on top of paint

Old 09-12-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy Rough layer of some sort on top of paint

Hey guys, I wash my car every thursday since I bought my S2000 (4 months ago). I been using the Meguiar Quick Wax for about a month or so every time I wash the car.

Now, the problem, I live here in melbourne, fl and we just had hurricane brewing about 30miles from the coast. I haven't been able to wash it last week and its been hit by rain the whole week. Saturday came by and it was very nice outside and all throughout the week with no rain... finally! So a wash and some quick wax is in order for my baby after almost 2 weeks of not washing it... I started with my wheels first, tons of rust and orange stains...

Then I started to spray the car with water and I started to wash the hood with my sponge and something felt weird... It wasn't as smooth as the sides or the rear... I touched the hood and the front bumper and it felt rough, but the paint still looked good, no scratchs or oxidation...

So I finished washing the car and I started to dry it with my towel and clearly you can feel how rough it was on the hood, the front bumper and the front part of the fenders. But no paint damage... Wtf! so I waited until 6 or so to put the car back outside and started to quick wax it. It looked very shiny before I started with the quick wax, but I used the quick wax anyways... So what could be this roughness on my hood? Could it be the quick wax that got caked on to the panels that got hit hard by rain fall, cause i didn't wash it in 2weeks. So any opinions or sugguestions? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure how it got there, but rewash and clay it should be your solution-

if you need clay instructions, let us know.

the clay will remove all wax from the car, so you will need to rewax afterwards.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the roughness is likely due to saps and other fall out from trees in the area. It's hard to say exactly what it is, but this seems to be most likely especially with the high winds you experienced recently. I would do two things:

1. Go down to your local auto supply store (or order on-line) some a clay paint cleaning kit.

2. At the same time order up some paint protection better than spray wax. I would get a liquid or paste wax or a polymer protectant. This way you can apply once a month or so and get better protection than with the quick wax. You will find recommendations for different brands all over this board.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:29 AM

hey thanks guys for the advice... I'll order a clay bar and I'm still new to this wax thing, so I don't know if i'm ready to use the real wax on my car.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by djdorifto,Sep 13 2005, 08:29 AM
hey thanks guys for the advice... I'll order a clay bar and I'm still new to this wax thing, so I don't know if i'm ready to use the real wax on my car.
i think you are ready... the "real wax" that i use is easier to use than yours i bet-

its a wipe on wipe off and is rated as one of the best carnubas, considering all aspects (including ease of use)-
p21s

more info on it:
http://www.p21s.com/products/bis_cw.html

to order it:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/p21-127.html

by the way, it really is wipe on wipe off- you should not let it sit. i do a small area and either go back and immediately remove it or have one of my daughters follow me removing as i apply (i do one section, then move on to another while they remove the first).
Old 09-13-2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by djdorifto,Sep 13 2005, 08:29 AM
IMO clay bay way more risky than hand waxing.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:40 AM

mikeyc-
your post sounds like you are saying not to clay... which i dont think you mean to say.
i agree with you that clay can be risky (if you drop it on the ground or if you use old clay, etc.), but also think it is probably the best product for the first step for his situation.

-------

since it sounds like some advice on claying might be a good idea, i am posting up david at autopia's "how to" (its not that hard- david is just really good at details!):

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14
Old 09-13-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe,Sep 13 2005, 01:40 PM
i agree with you that clay can be risky (if you drop it on the ground or if you use old clay, etc.), but also think it is probably the best product for the first step for his situation.

-------
Old 09-13-2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Sep 13 2005, 09:40 AM
mikeyc-
your post sounds like you are saying not to clay... which i dont think you mean to say.

-------

since it sounds like some advice on claying might be a good idea, i am posting up david at autopia's "how to" (its not that hard- david is just really good at details!):

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14
You are 100% right. My suggestion is to clay. What I was trying to say is that if djdorifto is willing to try to use clay then he shouldn't be intimidated by moving up from quick wax to a paste or liquid wax or a polymer. I don't believe quick wax is giving him adequate paint protection. He seems to be willing to put a lot of time & effort into keeping his car nice (he uses spray wax & washes weekly). So, I would think he would be willing to put in the effort required by paste/liquid wax or a polymer.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:14 PM

hey guys, thanks for more advice...

Lets go down the line:

Wanabe - Yeah, I think I might be ready for real wax on my car. I just got into really cleaning and protecting a car last month, so i'm still new and kind of backing off trying new things all at once. Just step by step I want to take this wax thing. Because I read all the stuff on autopia and bettercarcare ever since i bought my car back in May, so I just been getting more and more into taking care of my car. I guess i'll give the p21s a try with a clay bar kit.

i'll answer the rest of the questions in a bit... need to go pick up my brother....

Quick Reply: Rough layer of some sort on top of paint