S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Rock Chips on front bumper/fender/hood

Old 02-01-2006, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rock Chips on front bumper/fender/hood

Am i the only one who is super anal about rock chips? Cause everytime i see any chip on my fender/hood/bumper, it drives me absolutely crazy.

I dont' know whether to fork over some money to get a clear bra across the bumper/hood/fender and put up with that LINE that runs across the hood/fender or to live with rock chips..

I hate the line on the fender/hood, yet i also hate rock chips as well.. I have an equal hate for both.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:01 AM
ayS

i dont like rock chips either, they drive me insane. i know there's a website online you can buy and install it yourself. trying to remember though.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by WayneTeK,Feb 1 2006, 03:10 AM
Am i the only one who is super anal about rock chips? Cause everytime i see any chip on my fender/hood/bumper, it drives me absolutely crazy.

I dont' know whether to fork over some money to get a clear bra across the bumper/hood/fender and put up with that LINE that runs across the hood/fender or to live with rock chips..

I hate the line on the fender/hood, yet i also hate rock chips as well.. I have an equal hate for both.
Having the clear bra not only reduces rock chips, it reduces the anxiety associated with knowing plenty more are coming your way. Besides, there are natural lines everywhere on cars where panels end or meet, lights, windshield, etc. I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:40 AM

Add mirrors...
Mine are white spotted from where the paint has been removed.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:06 AM

paint touch up pen: very fine tip to help get those small chips

pick it up at handa:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-03.html
Old 02-01-2006, 09:09 AM

forgot to add that it helps to clean the chip with alcohol to remove wax, remove any rust, and apply 2-3 layers of touchup paint on top of the chip or enough to have it above the paint surrounding it. from there, you should sand those bumps down and polish the hazing out.

there is an article on this site on how that procedure is done.

the downside about daily driving a car, or driving a car in general, is that wear and tear will happen. only thing you can do is prepare yourself for that... and then fix up everything as best you can.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:37 AM

I am very anal about rock chips too, so I got a clearbra on my car shortly after I bought it. The clearbra works great, and if you get an installer who knows what he is doing, the lines are barely noticeable, and it is great for piece of mind. In most lighting, especially direct sun, the clearbra blends quite well. I would rather have a slight barely detectable line that looks like it was meant to be on the car than ugly rock chips or crappy touch up marks. I also make sure to avoid driving near semi's and big trucks, if they pass me, I just let off the gas a little so the distance between me and them is lengthened or if I am passing them, I pass em quick to reduce the chances of something getting kicked up. Your other option would be a colgan bra that you could just have on when you do any distant driving.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a compromise you have deal with.
sandblasted paintjob vs a less than perfect (less clarity, blurry depth, clearbra looks orange peeled) paint look on the nose/fenders. Having experienced both, the clear bra is hands down winner. You don't have to deal with the chips anymore.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:57 AM

anybody know about Ventureshield clear bra vs 3M clear bras?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:24 AM

Hey Wayne,
I do not have personal experience with Venture products but I have a little with 3M. I know that some films do stretch more than others, which is better for the installer, and some actually claim more clarity or quality than others, which makes it very difficult for the consumer to choose, but I think it mainly boils down to the installer. I originally went with a guy who was local, the only local for me, and he had the 3M and applied it and did a crappy job, so crappy he ended up not charging for the job because he didn't have the skill to apply it to the bumper and screwed it up. He claimed 3M was the best thing since sliced bread. I then ended up getting a guy (sheeld industries, Jarred Bledshoe) who was recommended by Picture Pro (member here) who was coming my way anyways (since I live in BFE) to visit family, so I asked him to do the job. He used a product by Avery, and it is slightly thinner, yet just as durable as the 3M and I found the lines do not show as much as the 3M did, and it is very clear and in fact hardly any orange peel. In fact this is the only product that he uses, and he does installations on new Porsches for a Porsche dealer. He did the installation in about 45 minutes and did an excellent job. He told me that 3M supplies some of the installers with free film if they do a certain amount of kits, so that is why a lot of em push the product so hard.
I ended up keeping the 3M product that the previous guy had installed inside my wheel well on my rear bumper and after washing the car, the two films have the same clarity, just the Avery line doesn't show as much because it is 1MM thinner.
If you get a good installer, the job will be barely noticeable, however, if you get a crappy one, it will be a very bad experience. It can be tough to find a guy who has the experience to get the job done, it is a difficult process.
Sheeld industries is located in Huntington Beach and I dealt with the owner, Jarred, who did a great job and he was very friendly and professional and charged a reasonable price. I do not know how far he is from you, but if you are going to get it done, he is very sharp.
If you get it done, be sure to get some plexus (plastic cleaner, protectant, and polish all in one) and apply it to the film. This will make it smooth as glass and also prevent yellowing. As long as you keep your car clean on a regular basis, you will not have to worry about dirt forming along the lines of the bra.
His website is sheeld.com.

Quick Reply: Rock Chips on front bumper/fender/hood