S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Road Tar - No Sweat!

Old 07-08-2002, 09:15 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Road Tar - No Sweat!

Guys,

I picked up this tip when I was doing my windshield tape removal (documented elsewhere), but found another use for it so thought I'd post...

I tried Johnson's baby oil with cotton balls on small areas where that sticky black road tar was on my car.

This stuff really works great. Doesn't do much re: bug guts, but no more fingernails to remove the tar (after several futile attempts).

Just put some on a cotton ball and rub back and forth for about 15 seconds. Worked like a charm.

Does anyone know of any concerns with using baby oil on the car? I suppose after you do this you should wash it off with Dawn and re-apply finish... I used the oil after my Dawn wash, then just re-washed the areas I oiled. Seemed fine....
Old 07-08-2002, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cotton balls WILL SCRATCH YOUR CLEAR COAT. Period.

$.02,
Aaron
Old 07-08-2002, 10:21 AM

Wow! OK, Aaron. Didn't know that. Thanks!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2002, 11:43 AM

Say Charlie,

You could try the chenille applicator pads that I believe Zaino sells...they have reverse stitching which will not scratch the paint/clear coat.

-V.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:06 PM

Maybe that'd work. So, I don't know if it was the baby oil or the cotton ball that got the black crud off... If it was the cotton ball, well, I guess that's not good.

Anyway, I guess I'd like to retract the whole thread here, but I don't know how... I tried, but it doesn't work.

I'M SORRY FOR PASSING ALONG BAD INFO!

PLEASE IGNORE WHAT I SUGGESTED EARLIER, APPARENTLY COTTON BALLS SCRATCH YOUR PAINT... AAAAARGH!

SORRY!
Old 07-08-2002, 12:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pure cotton microfibre towels are also a staple in my garage. Use them for anything except silicone and it just washes out. Keep a different set for things containing silicone. You can get them at Kragen or similar.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by amartin
[B]Cotton balls WILL SCRATCH YOUR CLEAR COAT.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:47 PM

That, of course, was my thinking exactly, Matrix... Again, not doubting, but certainly curious.

Also, do you know how to delete an entire thread?... sigh... I sure don't wanna steer folks wrong! I tried to edit my first entry and click the delete box (it said it'd delete the whole thread if it was the first post). But it doesn't let me do it...

Tnx
Old 07-08-2002, 12:50 PM
cbj

To delete use the Amin options drop down list in the lower left hand corner (I think that does it)
Old 07-08-2002, 12:51 PM

I believe only the mods can delete a thread. I would not worry about passing along bad information, if anyone reads this thread they will see all the posts here and learn just like we are.

BTW Chazmo, you can probably tell us if you ended up with swirls because you already did this...so did you get any swirls where you used the cotton balls?

Quick Reply: Road Tar - No Sweat!