S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Rims and Break dust.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a bottle of DuPont wheel cleaner with SILICONE. I have never used this product yet but the fact that it does contain silicone leads me to believe that wheels really may stay cleaner between wash jobs.
My expectation would be that this product may or may not be any better than a multitude of other wheel cleaners but might be a possible addition to what ever you may be using now.
Clean your wheels with whatever you are currently using, and then use a spritz of the DuPont to get the benefit of the silicone.
Does this make sense? Has anyone actually used the product and can comment?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correction:

Should read DuPont wheel cleaner with TEFLON.
Exact same principle as silicone and the rests of of the above post remains the same.
A further thought is that this may be an improvment over wax which will become brittle and microscopically resemble candle wax over time.
Wax in this condition would have the effect of attracting fine particles of dust rather than the desired repelling action.
Any comments of users of this product?
Old 08-05-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another thought... just saw this posted by the inventor of the product called "wheel wax":

(from bimmerfest.com- his offer for a free jar was to the specific person posting... so not sure that it applies to everyone!!)

" In 1997, I bought a 1995 840 added the M-style dual spoke wheels and ended up with a bad brake dust problem. I went to ceramic pads and lost some performance along with the dust and went back to soft pads because stopping is important sometimes. I then worked with a chemist to develop WheelWax (acutally a polymer, not a wax) and have been marketing it for 3 years now to fellow BMW drivers. I would be glad to send you a jar for your evaluation and you can find more information at www.wheelwax.com where you will also find my phone number for questions.

You are right about waxes melting and making matters worse. The polymers bond to the wheels, last longer and help protect the wheel surface. We combined three elements in our formula. A cleaner to remove old brake dust that is baked onto the wheel, amino functional silicones to seal the painted surface and an anti static element to help repel the dust. The rule of thumb these days is don't use anything to clean your wheels that you wouldn't use on your fenders. They are both covered with clear coats and can be damaged by acidic formulas. There is nothing in WheelWax that can harm paint or wheels. You can use it in the sun, leave it on for days and it comes off just as easily.

Send me an e-mail or call me and I will send you a jar for your evaluation. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Bruce"