S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Rims and Break dust.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims and Break dust.

Hey all,
I was sitting at work today thinking about my car and some upcoming shows and so on. All the shows I drive to, and have had probliems with the break dust getting all over my clean and shinny rims. Is there anything I clean the dust off with when I get to the show? Thank You.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wax or seal them when you initially clean them, the dirt comes off with detail spray when you get there.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:13 PM

So just wax them with the stuff I use to wax my car? Or is there something else I should use?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zaino or Menzerna FMJ gives you the glass touch. Otherwise your favorite wax.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try Wheel Wax.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Harpoon,Jul 23 2006, 04:51 PM
Try Wheel Wax.
makes to much since. dont do it

jk. maybe spray on wax would work. ive only recently waxed my rims (waxed 2 and left 2 unwaxed for test purposes) so i dont know how its gonna work out yet since i havent washed it or anything yet.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some more ideas:

i use an old duster for my wheels (i use it only on the wheels)... dust them then detail spray (just like the rest of the car). i agree with the tips about waxing them- and i prefer synthetics for this job. wheel wax is a combination synthetic and carnuba.

my other tip is learn to use the brakes conservatively. i very rarely use my brakes- only in emergencies (unusual), or at the very end to stop the car. if you learn to downshift, you can control the speed of the car without brakes. our cars are great for this- others arent so easy... such as my wife's bmw- horrible engine braking ability, combined with a heavy car; makes for lotsa brake dust.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM

down shift isnt the best thing for the motor.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:43 AM
TJF

down shift isnt the best thing for the motor.
why not????

The motor is spinning like it usually does, the oil pump is lubricating like it always does... In fact, it is just like driving the car on the throttle except for one major difference... no throttle. This means there is less fuel/air, less combustion, and consequently less pressure on the cylinders. So technically, it is better for the motor than accelerating. Therefore, by your logic, you would be better protecting your motor by not starting it in the first place rather than not downshifting.

While down shifting is more wear on the clutch (and synchros if you dont rev match), it is not any worse for the motor than driving the car in any other condition. The most rewarding part of driving a standard is pulling off a perfectly rev-matched downshift... if you cant do that, then why not just buy an automatic???

Please attempt to post facts in the future, mis-information is the bane of all internet forums
Old 07-24-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

btw, i agree that you should be rev matching on the downshifts- and that you do need to know what you are doing . but when you learn how to downshift, it becomes just part of the driving process imo.

i think that you should always intentionally choose the gear that the car is in (unlike automatic trannies)- thats why i prefer manual trannies... i want to drive the car rather than just being a passenger sitting in the driver's seat!!

Quick Reply: Rims and Break dust.