S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Rick's Leather Care Kit?

Old 02-05-2003, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rick's Leather Care Kit?

I need a set of products for cleaning and maintaining the leather in my new car. I was going to order Rick's product, but thought I'd ask YOU, the experts if it was worth the money, or what other alternative kits are out there that are decent. I have 400 miles on my car, and the leather already has wrinkles??????? I don't get it. Thanks fellas!
Old 02-06-2003, 03:57 AM

Use the Zaino leather conditioner - it keeps the leather supple and soft. Very easy to use too. Just wipe on and leave.

I've been using it from day one! Wrinkles are part and parcel of leather seats.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:18 AM

I use the Pinnacle Leather Conditioner from properautocare.com. The thing I like is it smells like leather. Brings that new car leather smell back to the car. They also have a cleaner. I've used it, but I keep the seats pretty clean, so didn't really notice a change.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Blue Bitch 2K
...and the leather already has wrinkles??????? I don't get it. Thanks fellas!
I was about to ask the same thing, the seats are starting to get a bit wrinkly after two weeks and I really want my clean, crisp leather surface back. Is there anything I can use to fix this?

Also, when the products say 'makes leather softer' what exactly does that mean? the leather seats in s2k are pretty hard, tightly stretched leather whereas some leather sofas are soft so does that mean 'making leather softer' will result in s2k seats that are equivilent to soft leather sofas??

sorry for the ignorance
Old 02-11-2003, 12:32 PM

Adding a leather conditioner won't make the S seats like sofa leather. It's about the leather, not the conditioner. But, you do need to replinish the oils that are lost to the sun. You don't want it to dry out.

The wrinkles are just what happens to leather with age. Not much you can do about it. Just keep them conditioned, about twice a year, and they will age beautifully.

Also, use a cleaner that is made for leather. Products that are made for vinyl and plastic may cause the leather to dry out prematurely.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:27 PM

The truth about soft leather is in the way it is produced. Less color finish and top coat = softer leather. The conditioner in Rick's kit is very good, it comes from Townsend Leather. I work for The Leather Institute, member of The Townsend Leather Group and I can attest that the Townsend cleaner and conditioner/protector is the best to be found on the market. It is currently being used aboard virtually all private aircraft as well as in the commercial and residential furniture markets in addition to the automotive market.

As for the leather wrinkles, it can come from many causes:
-the stuffing of the seat breaking down and the panel losing its firm shape.
-the leather itself breaks in and the wrinkles come about naturally.

You have to deal with them, although if your seats get shiny, that can be taken care of by a professional. That is actually the top coat wearing off and so by replacing what was there originally you can bring your leather back to that like new state.

My only precaution is making "soft leather" would be never to use any silicone based products on leather. They not only weaken the finish that has been applied, but can even ruin the leather fibers themselves.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me at sean@leatherinstitute.com for more information about preventative techniques and maintenance procedures.