S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Results of weekend detailing project

Old 11-04-2002, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Results of weekend detailing project

I just spent the better part of this last weekend detailing my red MY02 S2000. I spent very little time on the wheels and tires and none on the interior. Most of the time I was working on the exterior paint.

I am very happy with the results. The paint looks richer now and seems to reflect more light. (I wish there was a way to measure this objectively.)

The steps were:

I applied two coats of Finish First. The first coat cured overnight; the second coat cured for about 3 hours. All the other steps were one coat, one pass.

All steps except the initial shampoo were performed in my garage under natural light or with the help of one or two 500 watt halogen shop lights.

My observations about some of the individual steps are as follows:

Thanks for listening. I'd be happy to hear your comments and suggestions so that my next effort can produce even better results.
      Old 11-05-2002, 04:42 AM

I think you will get lots of suggestions to use Zaino!!
      Old 11-05-2002, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good post...
      my comments:

1. i used finish first for the first year on my car and now use zaino (z2 is the product comparable to finish first). i like both products and still use finish first on my daughter's car.

2. i would not have used the 3m swirl remover on a new car... mine is over two years old and it just now is beginning to show some swirls. i have used the 3m on other older cars and it is great, but it does take down the clear coat a bit (it contains a mild abrasive similar to a light rubbing compound). you shouldnt need to use it again for quite awhile!

3. now that you have waxed you might not be able to use finish first without removing the wax. we have had several discussions here as to whether you can "sandwich" synthetics and carnubas with no real conclusion. most have posted that it is not a good idea. (i have been following this closely as i would like to sandwich my zaino with carnuba, but have been talked out of it).

4. my primary suggestion for the future is to use the porter cable for applying and removing your wax or finish first- you wont believe how much more fun taking care of your car can be!!
      Old 11-05-2002, 07:34 PM

Thanks for responding, Wanabe. Here are some further comments prompted by your input.

2. i would not have used the 3m swirl remover on a new car... you shouldnt need to use it again for quite awhile!

Excellent point. Before checking out this forum, I had tried to wax my car without the proper tools or techniques. As a result, I introduced what seemed to be a lot of swirl marks. That was my main reason for trying the remover so early in the life of the car. Now that I've completed this step, I'm not planning to do it again for a long while, as you suggest.

3. now that you have waxed you might not be able to use finish first without removing the wax...

Really? Doesn't wax deteriorate on its own over a short period of time ( a matter of weeks or at most months)? My first try at detailing a few months ago (see above) included a wax step. Now, a few months later, the Finish First went on over that initial waxing just fine and it really seemed to bind with the paint surface. Was the swirl removal step what took all the old wax off so that the Finish First really settled in? I'll be bummed if I can't slap more Finish First on at will. If we should remove old wax first, what's the best way?

4. my primary suggestion for the future is to use the porter cable for applying and removing your wax or finish first- you wont believe how much more fun taking care of your car can be!!

Sorry I neglected to mention that I used a Porter Cable to apply the 3M and the Finish First. Next time I will try to use it with the wax. Maybe that will help prevent excess wax from going on.

Thanks again for your interest in these details.
      Old 11-06-2002, 06:24 AM

Looking good, dierk. I'll have to keep my eye out for the awesome red S2000 next time I cruise past San Fran.

I haven't tried swirl remover yet, don't need to as my finish is still swirl-free. You are correct about the applying of Gold Class, it does tend to "harden" fast, but that is why we wax in the shade, and not full sun. At any rate, I've applied it in sun and shade with excellent results. Very reflective and deep.

Like you, I don't spend too much time on my tires and wheels. They're low maintenance as far as I'm concerned. I'll spray with water and wipe them down with a towel, then spray some Armorall on them and I'm good to go.

I do spend quality time with my interior because since I have the top down a lot, protecting the inside is imperative. I've used Meguiar's Leather Wipes and Vinylex for the Vinyl.

What are you using on your interior?
      Old 11-06-2002, 07:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VinceD
      [B]

I do spend quality time with my interior because since I have the top down a lot, protecting the inside is imperative. I've used Meguiar's Leather Wipes and Vinylex for the Vinyl.
      Old 11-06-2002, 07:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dierk
      [B]Thanks for responding, Wanabe.
      Old 11-06-2002, 08:10 AM

btw... i think that boiler uses finish first and i also recall that he has used a wax over it recently.
      boiler- are you out there?
      your thoughts on this?

and dierk- i forgot to answer your question as to how to remove the wax if you want to: "dawn" as your car wash should do it.
      Old 11-06-2002, 08:47 AM

I thought I didn't have any scrtaches on one of my cars as I practiced safe washing and waxing. Then I was parked at the airport under bright lights and I saw the scratches then. Not sure what to do now but it will have to wait until Spring.

Something to be said about dull lighting!!
      Old 11-06-2002, 07:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dierk
      [B]I guess we haven't talked about chrome or glass yet.