S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Restoring clearcoat / paint luster

Old 03-06-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring clearcoat / paint luster

I know this belongs int he wash/wax forum, but I think it might get better visibility here. I bought a really really well maintained 99 Accord LX. Drives very nice and I love the car. But the paint on this car (Taffeta White) is in really bad condition. The paint has no clear coat at all. The paint look "flat" and it feels like it too. Doesn't look glossy and doesn't feel glossy. So I was thinking.. could a good external detail job at a professional place do any help? What can I do?? Any remedies that will restore the luster? (other than a full repaint)

The car's in really good shape and only has 58k miles and I'm even willing to repaint it couple years later or even immediately (given that it doesn't cost too much. maybe a thousand bucks?). Thats how good of a shape this car is in mechanically.

Please help. What shold I do ?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Post in "Wash & Wax"forum.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Or in Car Talk since it has nothing to do with an S2000.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by hokiemax,Mar 6 2006, 10:41 PM
I know this belongs int he wash/wax forum, but I think it might get better visibility here.
that may be true, but since when are you exempt from the same posting rules that everyone else has to follow?? It belongs in Wash and Wax so im moving it there....

if the mods of that forum decide to move it because it has nothing to do with an S2000 then it may be going somewhere else.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:27 AM

I would try asking at http://autopia.org/forum/
Old 03-07-2006, 06:56 AM

[QUOTE=hokiemax,Mar 6 2006, 10:41 PM] The paint has no clear coat at all.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

worth trying this:

1. wash the car
2. clay the entire car
3. reevaluate- feel the car and inspect it closely. if you dont see any gloss at all, you might want to go aggressive on a polish- sounds like you dont have much to lose here. i am a bit conservative and (without seeing it) would most likely start out with a fine cut compound. i would work it hard, and follow the fine cut with a paint cleaner, or swirl remover.
4. final step is to rewax or synthetic it.

be sure that the car does not have clear coat before you buy your products (if no clear then you dont need products for clear coated cars)- are you saying it was not clear coated when new or the clear coat has peeled off?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:12 PM

A buff will last you about a week or two before it's faded and crappy again. Your only permanent solution is to get it repainted. As long as you don't need any real body work done, I bet $1000-1500 could get you a pretty decent paint job.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Former Moderator

Just because the paint looks and feels flat doesn't mean your clearcoat is gone. I bet your clearcoat is still there but scratched to hell. Post some pictures. Very very rarely is a clear coat just gone. It needs to be evaluated by someone that knows what they are doing. Painting is your LAST option not your first step.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Mar 7 2006, 08:29 PM
Just because the paint looks and feels flat doesn't mean your clearcoat is gone. I bet your clearcoat is still there but scratched to hell. Post some pictures. Very very rarely is a clear coat just gone. It needs to be evaluated by someone that knows what they are doing. Painting is your LAST option not your first step.
It's hard to believe that the clear coat just disappeared even if the car was neglected. The clear coat oxidizes just like single stage paint which causes the paint to dull. I bet a good polish will bring it right back. Definitely try that before going to the paint booth.

Quick Reply: Restoring clearcoat / paint luster