S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Respray or detail?

Old 07-19-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Respray or detail?

I'm getting ready to close on a car (2002 BB with 42k mi). Even with the lower miles the paint is not what I'd call pretty. Issues are:

- major swirls
- bird poop stain on hood
- some scuffs (white marks) on paint see pic below assuming I figure out how to upload...

I'm wondering especially for the paint scuffs if it's within the realm of polishing to restore the paint or I'm looking at some sort of painting? On an otherwise very nice car the paint quality is not to the level I'm used to in cars I own but if a good detail can take care of most of it I would be happy. Opinions will be helpful!

(By the way this would be my second S2000 after having sold a MY00 example back in 2008)

Old 07-20-2015, 02:48 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Assuming the "bird poo" hasn't eaten through the clear coat a professional detailer (or even yourself) can make the swirls disappear. The scuffs are actually easy to remove, again assuming they are surface scuffs. Being a BB car means you will be constantly chasing dust with a quick detailer and MF towels, but just based on your comments the car should detail out nicely.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:44 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree. The bird poo is the only thing that would concern me. I inherited a car from my mom that had a big spot of it on the hood that had been there for a long time. I was able to get most of it out, but there was some permanent staining.

I'm surprised how people can let paint get that bad in only 42K miles.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:45 PM

a detail using quality products will get most of that out and look good imo. the poo my leave what looks like a water mark when done. it depends how perfect you want it
Old 07-20-2015, 03:00 PM

Thanks guys. Yes the white marks appear to be surface only, I tried running my finger on them (the second picture you can see a smear, that was me trying to wipe it off with my spit and fingers!).

The poop marking appears to be a water mark. Owner claimed he didn't try to do anything extreme to get rid of it, but perhaps he had already tried to do some paint correction and that was what was left over.

I'm excited to be back in an S2000 soon...selling my Z4MC to make some room for funds to add a 3rd vehicle. S2K will be the occasional car.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my BB '03 4 years ago and the paint was in terrible shape. I had to do a med./heavy correction with some wet sanding, but it was def. worth it. Most paint can be corrected, it would have to be pretty neglected to need a full respray.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A detail will bring the paint back.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:20 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

i have black and i've decided to re-spray. a detail can't remove rock chips and deep scratches so a respray and a clear bra on my front end in it's future.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
i have black and i've decided to re-spray. a detail can't remove rock chips and deep scratches so a respray and a clear bra on my front end in it's future.
Just curious... What would a respray for you involve? Will you have the shop remove the body panels and spray so that you can get the paint and clearcoat wrapped around the panels? Or will you have them mask and spray the panels on the car?

I have done a little shopping on body and paint work, and to do things "right" the costs go up tremendously...
Old 07-27-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Much like i did with my AP2. The whole front end was re-sprayed. Hood, Fenders, Bumper and Lip. Paint was blended close to the door. Hood and Bumper were removed and the rest of the panels were sprayed. Head lights were also re-clear coated with a special UV protectant. Car Looked good as new. The rock chips were driving me mad. Total cost was $1200.

Quick Reply: Respray or detail?