S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

repairing paint chips...

Old 03-05-2003, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default repairing paint chips...

i already got a really noticeable paint chip on the hood of my 1 month old s2k, and was wonder what is the most effective way of repairing it. i plan on buying some touch up paint, but i was wondering what other products will i need to effectively polish off the excessive paint so that the repair will be unnoticeable to the casual glance?? at first i thought of just taking it to a detail shop and let the pros take care of it, but if you guys know of an effective method, i would like to try that first...
Old 03-05-2003, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

biggest issue is what color your have. I have a sebring silver, which means a paint match is next to impossible without a complete respray.

there was a couple of good threads and maybe a FAQ about 6 months ago.

also, I have heard the autosharp pens (SPONSOR) work well and that they have s2000 specific colors. HOWEVER, I have no personal experience with their product.

I have used Langka. It does not harm the factory paint. I find that I do not have the necessary technique to keep from taking off all of the touch up paint. I use it now only for starting over when I am not happy with the results.

PM me if you want to discuss my ongoing trials and tribulations with a metallic paint. If you have any of the boring () er, I mean flat paints (black, blue, spa, white) I am sure that you can definitely get hard to notice, if not perfection.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also depends on the size of the chip...
i have used the autosharp pen on a small scratch (seemed big to me!)- and it worked great to fill and cover. still not like new, but it is not noticeable any more unless you really look for it.
chips are a bit different than scratches, as you need to fill the chipped area and try to match the orignal paint while keeping the right level.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:10 PM

I also tried Lankga, and found either I don't have the technique, or am not waiting long enough for it to dye more, because it removed all the touchup paint.

U can, however, fill the hole with paint, then cut a piece of sand paper (1200 grit) in a fine circle the size of a pencil erase... glue it to the end of a pencil eraser and "sand down" the touchup paint to the surface of the factory paint... buff out the 1200grit scratches (should be a small area), wax and walk away.

Best thing-- TAKE YOUR TIME.

-- Aaron
Old 03-06-2003, 06:10 PM

I just used the autosharp pen for the first time yesterday, it worked pretty well, and the match was excellent (but how hard is it to match black?) I'd suggest trying the autosharp pen first, it is really easy to get good results.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:52 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

One of the automotive detailing sites (don't remember which) that I read a while ago, suggested that if you have the dealer's touch up paint, to apply with just a toothpic. The idea was to just wet the tip of the toothpic with the paint and touch it to the chipped area, letting a small amount of paint run off into the chip. Let it dry completely. Repeat 5-7 times until the chip is filled to the heighth of the surrounding paint.