S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

repaint car by painting panels one by one?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repaint car by painting panels one by one?

wasnt sure where to post this..thought it would be most appropriate here.

would it make sense to remove each body panel and paint them one by one? I want to repaint my car but i'm still not sure about if i'd actually wana try it myself. i guess i'd feel safer if i went at it panel by panel. is this even a viable idea or is this just ridiculous? seems to make sense to me.

also, what would be a good amount of paint to buy? 1 gallon?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Well I do this for a living and I don't see the harm in it. I've never done it this way, but it seems like it would makes sense. One thing to keep a close eye on for a first time painter is keeping everything wet. You wanna start out with a dust coat and build up. You have to get quality paint to do it this way or non-quality paint isn't going to "lay down flat". DO NOT use single stage. It's cheaper, but you're not supposed to buff it and it will be dull in 3-4 years. We use Sikkens paint at work, but I would recommend Sherwin Williams or HOK. Clear is the tricky part. To much and you run it. Not enough and it looks dry. Just make sure you mix everything right and you will be good. GL. If you have any more questions I might be able to help.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think a bigger question is, why are you interested in repainting? going with a different color or something?

(btw cherry - u truly aren't that far.. i think 2 or so hours. my cousin works for notre dame football so i might b out there in the fall)
Old 04-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by MuttGrunt,Apr 9 2009, 07:38 PM
i think a bigger question is, why are you interested in repainting? going with a different color or something?

(btw cherry - u truly aren't that far.. i think 2 or so hours. my cousin works for notre dame football so i might b out there in the fall)
yes the reason for repainting is going with a different color. well also because theres some chips in my paint and i want to flair my fenders etc etc.

would the paint from http://www.paintscratch.com/ be okay? i was thinking about getting like a gallon of their primer, basecoat, and clear coat. they also have that tricoat paint but i dont know if thats any good. where is somewhere i can get oem colors and paint thats oem quality?

what do you mean by keeping everything wet? painting on layers before the previous layer dries?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:53 AM

I'm not sure about the paintscratch.com stuff. What I would do is try and find a Napa paint store. I don't if there are any out there though. Your amount of paint is gonna depend on how good it covers. It's hard to say. If you're talking a gallon reduced you will probably need more. When I say wet I mean everything has to have a nice coat on it. Like corners and such tend to get overlooked while spraying. The paint you buy should have instructions on dry time. This is the time in between coats. Usually when I do a car I'll start in one spot and do the whole thing and step outside for 5-10 minutes. If you don't wait long enough you will have runs or sags in the base and that becomes a PITA. Another thing is talk to the person who sells you the paint and ask if you need primer. If you are just filling rock chips and don't have real body work then I would say skip it. The only problem with that is the color you choose might have to have it's own base coat. For instance I recently did a Victory MC, Kawasaki green and it required and white base. Hope that helps a little. Also check for Sherwin Williams paint spot. Those guys usually know what they are talking about and can help you out a lot.