S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Removing Bird S**t!

Old 08-05-2004, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Removing Bird S**t!

After spending most of the weekend cleaning, claying, waxing, etc. , I couldn't wait to show-off my baby at work come Monday morning. I'm sure many members may disagree...but there is nothing like the shine of a freshly waxed Berlina Black S2K!

Anyway, while at work, a bird took a "fly -by" dump on my freshly waxed hood. Once home, I immediately reached for the hose! Usually, a light spray is all that is required to removed the dreaded matter. HOWEVER...this time something was very different. After rinsing the residue, I noticed the fecal material had altered my paint. I now have a mark the size of a 50 cent piece in the middle of my hood! "The mark" actually resembles a rust bubble and has the same "feel". Also, it isn't noticeable from the side...only when viewing from the top. I tried to clay it, polish it, buff it...no luck.

I know this post sounds a bit stupid. I've had many bird droppings on my car since new. BUT, I have never had damage before. This is the first time I actually noticed a visible change in the paint. WTF did this bird eat...toxic waste??? Has anyone run into this situation??? More importantly, what can I do to fix it?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by suprfunguy,Aug 5 2004, 12:29 PM
After spending most of the weekend cleaning, claying, waxing, etc. , I couldn't wait to show-off my baby at work come Monday morning. I'm sure many members may disagree...but there is nothing like the shine of a freshly waxed Berlina Black S2K!

Anyway, while at work, a bird took a "fly -by" dump on my freshly waxed hood. Once home, I immediately reached for the hose! Usually, a light spray is all that is required to removed the dreaded matter. HOWEVER...this time something was very different. After rinsing the residue, I noticed the fecal material had altered my paint. I now have a mark the size of a 50 cent piece in the middle of my hood! "The mark" actually resembles a rust bubble and has the same "feel". Also, it isn't noticeable from the side...only when viewing from the top. I tried to clay it, polish it, buff it...no luck.

I know this post sounds a bit stupid. I've had many bird droppings on my car since new. BUT, I have never had damage before. This is the first time I actually noticed a visible change in the paint. WTF did this bird eat...toxic waste??? Has anyone run into this situation??? More importantly, what can I do to fix it?
yup, you found out that the stuff contains acids!!
this time it was enough to be a problem-

sometimes you get sand too- and i have had many folks ask how their car got scratched up from a bird dropping!

will get you a good link and post it back here
Old 08-05-2004, 01:14 PM

did you try claybarring it and the putting the power buffer on it to improve and then rewax?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

strange- i know i have an article on bird dropping repairs!!
... but cant find it...
guess this is good news that we havent had this problem recently?!
(just not good news to suprfunguy)

the solution is to polish the effected area. polish is the only thing that will get off the results of the bird dropping after you have removed the dropping its self.
if you look closely at the paint you will likely see a very small "crater" (dimple).
this can be polished out pretty easily using a fairly mild polish. probably a paint cleaner or swirl remover will get it.
be sure to work the product in straight lines-
and let us know the results...
also you will need to rewax the area that you polish cause polish removes everything!

btw, for the future the key to preventing damage is to remove the stuff immediately. i carry detailers spray and various towels in my trunk for this purpose and have used it several times (be sure that there is no sand and remove carefully in any case). never got an etch from a bird yet!
Old 08-06-2004, 09:59 AM

Thanks for all the advise. I'll give the polish a try. I was a little hesitant to try it due to the visible "nooks & crannies" left by the acidic bird dropping. I certainly don't want to take the paint off or make the damage worse. If I can't get a decent result with hand polishing, I'll try the buffer.

I'll report back with the results...hopefully all good!!!