S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

rear glass velcro-like tape falling off

Old 10-05-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing they are replacing the top for this (maybe I am not understanding). My thought has always been that the soft top piping, or ribbing, around the window opening taps against the glass and this was a cheap and easy fix for Honda (kind of ghetto, really). The fuzzy velcro does nothing more than pad the top from tapping the window when the wind buffets it.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=apex2k,Oct 5 2005, 09:57 AM] Amazing they are replacing the top for this (maybe I am not understanding).
Old 10-08-2005, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by J Nick,Oct 5 2005, 06:59 AM
update

took my s in for regular servicing - pointed it out and left - just got a call and they took a ride and detected a certain noise top up verses not - the other side is glued not so good - I felt other S and theirs seemed solidily glued

Bottom line - they are replacing the top today - never really expected it but I also never thought that it had something to do with wind - they said it will flap at higher speeds.....
The same thing has happened to my car but my dealer won't repair it. I see that you are located in pompano beach. Does this mean you go to pompano honda? I tried sherwood honda in delray and they said they wouldn't fix it. On top of that the tech started to peel the plastic which is under the velcro off which really pissed me off. I have an 02 with 20k miles on it. any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Miike505,Oct 8 2005, 08:40 AM
The same thing has happened to my car but my dealer won't repair it. I see that you are located in pompano beach. Does this mean you go to pompano honda? I tried sherwood honda in delray and they said they wouldn't fix it. On top of that the tech started to peel the plastic which is under the velcro off which really pissed me off. I have an 02 with 20k miles on it. any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
it was pomp honda - my s is still under warranty - and they didn't offer the new top

THEY CALLED AND SAID THEY WERE REPLACING IT AS IF THEY JOY IN DOING SO

in hindsight; i agree with their action - but gluing it may have worked fine - with the right adhesive - it would have to be flexible

maybe this issue is in their house manuals

i was scared the install was going to cause problems - eg fit, leak,etc - but it seems ok except the back area seems to be buffeting more - maybe they can tweak that

let me know
Old 10-08-2005, 03:46 PM

I'm not really looking for a new top, I would just rather have them glue it on then doing it myself. I'm not even sure what the velcro does i just don't like the look of the white plastic which you can see when looking from the side. If it comes down to it I will glue it back myself. Any recommendations on what type of glue I should use? Since the other tech pulled off a lot of the plastic should i just glue it straight to the fabric?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Miike505,Oct 8 2005, 06:46 PM
I'm not really looking for a new top, I would just rather have them glue it on then doing it myself. I'm not even sure what the velcro does i just don't like the look of the white plastic which you can see when looking from the side. If it comes down to it I will glue it back myself. Any recommendations on what type of glue I should use? Since the other tech pulled off a lot of the plastic should i just glue it straight to the fabric?
you have to find a glue which is flexible, and weather resistant - flexible because - well just open your top half way get out of the car and see how that area bends in half - glue it exactly like it was - if you may have to look at another S
Old 10-11-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing, but it was due to this:

I didnt go to Honda yet, but I dont want a new top either. Im sure Ill have more problems with it lining up or making noise if they replace it. Let me know how the glue holds up. Im about to run out of so called "warranty", if I havent voided most of it all ready.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by revhi,Oct 11 2005, 10:00 PM
Mine did the same thing, but it was due to this:

I didnt go to Honda yet, but I dont want a new top either. Im sure Ill have more problems with it lining up or making noise if they replace it. Let me know how the glue holds up. Im about to run out of so called "warranty", if I havent voided most of it all ready.
my top did this a few times when the car was new... I chose to fix it myself (as my trust in the dealer tech's capabilties is nominal)...anyway with the top half way between open & closed I carefully trimmed the excess molding at the edges of the window... made sure the trimmed part was smooth and put some g-tape over the corner - so that it could in no way interfere with the vinyl top - never had this problem again.

as far as the velcro tape is concerned - its there to buffer tthe top from flapping against the window...I actually added the other side of the velcro to the glass to keep the top closed tot eh glass when the top is up - seems to have worked and stayed in place for the past 18 months - well as many times as I've driven with the top up that is.