S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Ready to step up to professional

Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no photographer, but I found this photo cool. Trying to practice with a 75-300 lenses. Difficult at night, the light was not working. and the little tripod I was using to stay level on the product was meant for a point and shoot, not a DSLR with a huge lens attached. Which is why so many pics are blurry.

What you see is about 2/3 my collection. 2 buckets with the guards (under the wash pads) I got them on special after I bought one. Car wash soap and 2 free pads which is why I have 3. A ton of pads on top of the bucket, and at the top are 4 inch pads which rule. Check my headlight! The little blue applicator is great for wax. So easy to hold. I have the polish line and a bottle of glaze. The yellow bottle is the chemical guys wax. The red and silver bottle are Klasse which is a sealant that is hard to use but really shines. I wouldn't recommend it though. See how much my tub of MF towels is?!! I can't believe I have close to 30, and whats pictured isn't even all of them! Learn from others and buy what fits your needs best without spending a ton of cash trying things until you get that basics down.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:25 AM

Very helpful. Looking forward to getting my first collection and getting started. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM

The griots package looks good. Looking back at my collection of detailing stuff (and i have a lot....) I would skip the random orbiter they provide and go with a Flex Polisher instead. While more expensive, the random orbiter is a pain to use (literally) and results take an absurd amount of time.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by acn684
The griots package looks good. Looking back at my collection of detailing stuff (and i have a lot....) I would skip the random orbiter they provide and go with a Flex Polisher instead. While more expensive, the random orbiter is a pain to use (literally) and results take an absurd amount of time.
What about the porter cable?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:15 PM

The Griots' dual action polisher and pads is a good place for you to begin. It consistently gets good reviews. But I would do some research before investing in other products. There are better polishes out there, for example. Check out the Menzerna line of polishes especially. I can't recommend specifically Menzerna products, as I find that Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and M205 more than satisfy my polishing needs. I suggest that you call Phil at Detailer's Domain and speak to him personally (201-233-0003). He sells the Griot's polisher and a couple polish lines. He'll set you up right. And be sure to order a dozen foam applicators. They come in handy.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 PM

importkid - why were the klasse sealants hard to work with? I wanted to try them as a sealant for the longer protection.. any other sealants you recommend? I also have sebring silver so we relate in trying to make it look its best lol
Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 AM

The removal if you add just even a drop too much makes it a real beast. The red bottle, AIO isn't too terrible (not super easy) but the high gloss sealant is a real bugger. I like the Adams machine sealant, on my list to try is CG 109 jetseal, and wolfgang sealant. I apply wax over sealant which is where you get the most depth of color. For the price on silver you can not beat chemical guys butter wet wax. It has a low durability, but that won't matter if sealant is below it because you then have the reliability. It really does make the car look wet. If I had some sample bottles I'd send you some Klasse to try.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 AM

ahh ic. are you referring to the wolfgang deep gloss spritz or paint sealant 3.0?
Will the spritz have the same reliability as the paint sealant ( ~6months) or less?
I may try that one out and let you know how well it works
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 AM

WG 3.0 I'm not much into spray wax. Even for a quick way to add slickness. I'd rather just take an extra 10-15 minutes and apply CG wet wax. Look into the Menzerna sealant as well. It's about the only thing I can figure out in there 10 product line.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 PM

I don't know your budget, but any of the random orbiters will be painful and slow to use. The flex spins in a different way that gives less vibration (shock to your hand) and it corrects more quickly because of that. I believe it oscillates as oppose to how the PC/random orbiters work.

They're considerably a bit more expensive but will do a better job and have very similar forgiveness...PC's basically have complete forgiveness almost.

You can help with the PC vibrations by a) getting work gloves with anti-vibration shock padding b) getting used to it. But for me, when you're correcting in 2/3 stages...it numbing in the end of the job that you don't want to do it again if you had a choice.

Quick Reply: Ready to step up to professional