S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Ready to step up to professional

Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to step up to professional

My family, friends, and gf all say I'm obsessed with cleaning my car. I usually wash it every other day. I wash it at my local car wash with my own soaps. I use mequiars, and the best off the shelf cleaners. I've never had a garage to really detail it until now. I'm still reading and learning on exactly how to go about a great detail. Every time I wash it it looks amazing with just basic hand wax, but I know I can get it to show quality with the right stuff and knowledge. I understand it takes hours to do a full detail and that's not a problem, I love cleaning my S.

I want to get into the next level of clay bars then polish and then wax instead of just wash then wax. It's rather confusing seeing there is so MANY different product out there. Question is, is this a good starting point?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

I'm looking for a kit and want to be sure I'm getting the best one for the money.My paint color is GPW, which is nice at hiding things. I love it, always owned dark cars and now with white it stays cleaner longer.

Anyway thanks for any help
Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM

Looks like an awesome little combo pack there. You should be able to take care of your ride with that.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-734-a...isher-kit.aspx

Check that out before making an order. I love how easy adams stuff is.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^I prefer the adam's kit linked to the griots kit that you posted. Start reading Autopia.org on what products everyone likes. Then start your collection of supplies slowly.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor

I would like to know what exactly you have in right now just car wash?

you can probably get on www.detailingbliss.com, extremely helpful pros and DIYers on there.

we have a carry the Griot's and the Adam's in stock.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:23 PM

As of right now I have mequiars wash and wax, just bought it yesterday for first time, usually I use their shampoo. Been using turtle wax and a micro fiber, needles to say I take up one bay at the car wash for a easy hour, because a wax with small pad and micro fiber. My arms will thank me once I go electric.

Question. If I get some kind of swirl remover when do I use it? After before clay, or a before wax or polish?

I'll check Adams out, thanks guys, I'm already getting ready to use this! lol
Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^Keep reading and learning before you purchase or attempt to use said products.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 PM

I've watched all the videos on adam's and griots. The kit from griots comes with more things, you get everything you need to wax & polish the car, plus towels, and the bag. Adams you pay the same amount just for the polish kit. Adams does look a little more modern, and maybe even a better product. Is it worth the extra money to go with adams over thr griots kit? around $400 vs $300
Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Curtis61
I've watched all the videos on adam's and griots. The kit from griots comes with more things, you get everything you need to wax & polish the car, plus towels, and the bag. Adams you pay the same amount just for the polish kit. Adams does look a little more modern, and maybe even a better product. Is it worth the extra money to go with adams over thr griots kit? around $400 vs $300

No! You are buying a green pad and severe swirl remover that will be too harsh for S clear. Never in a million years should you need it on a modern Honda. I've taken out light scratches (don't go trying that one yet) with the orange stuff. Buy the kit then the 35 dollar clay with detail spray. If you are in the 400 dollar range my suggestion is get the kit I posted for 300, add the 35 dollar clay kit, and get two double soft mf towels (go into the page and select 2 to save 5 bucks) and do the same with single soft towels. Enter "thejunkman" without quotes into the coupon box and get 10% off. Or call Phil at DD and have him hook you up with the same kit. He carries much more so the site is not as easy to navigate. Plus, I buy from a local dealer so I do not frequent his selection. Be sure to mention you're from S2ki because there is a coupon for his site as well.

Some notes about what you are posting. Do you wax your car at least once a week? You're just clouding the paint. Anything past two coats is virtually ineffective and can become counterproductive if you have a dark colored car. I see your car is white, but still unnecessary work.
If you want to take the best care of your vehicle purchase two grit guards and two lowes/home depot buckets and to a two bucket wash. (youtube junkman2008 two bucket) I use the 9 dollar wash mitts from Adams and they make quick work of the S. No need in the big one. I wash the top then set that mitt aside. Dunk my second clean was pad in the soap bucket and was the windows and top half of the car. Then use my water bucket (second bucket) to clean the pad for the top and wash the front and rear bumper along with the lower half of the car. Hose off and dry using a chasmose (sp?) then go back with a waffle weave MF towel to hit any missed spots. Takes me 30 minutes to fully wash the S and dry it. Including use of the Adams lug brush that is totally awesome for spoked wheels.

I know, I sound like I'm drinking to Adams kool-aid, but for a beginner it really is just too simple to pass on. Eventually you will find other products that you like better. However, for just starting out and not knowing what you are really getting into it's best to keep it simple. Take a look on chemical guys web site if you want a real brain buster.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 PM

Wow, thanks for the help man. No, I use my own rags and micro fibers. I have the meqiuars mitt. I only wax it around once a month. I don't think my arm could take much more lol. I've never waxed my S yet though. I've owned it 3 weeks and it was detailed as I bought it. The paint is super shiny and looks great, but the swirl marks are annoying.

One of the video they used quick detail and sprayed car before they dried it. Do you do this as well?

I'll probably order exactly as you specify and learn from there. I'll just give him s call.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM

Not with the detail spray. Those guys get it for free. I pay 12 bucks for a bottle.

Give me a minute and post a pic for you to see what a hobby this is. If you get the Adams they grey is a sealant, which is like a wax. It bonds to the paint though. It can last up to 6 months. I apply it with the grey pad (LCC, not adams but don't get too confused here) then wait a week and apply a coat of chemical guys wax over it. Now my car is set for about 3 months. I'll apply another coat of CG wax. Then around the end of summer I'll have to use the white Adams bottle and a white pad and polish any swirls out and reapply the sealant. Then wax again. No need to polish more than twice a year.

Quick Reply: Ready to step up to professional