S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Ragg Topp warning!!!

Old 08-15-2001, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ragg Topp warning!!!

Just got back from visiting Haartz (convertible fabric manufacturer). I inquired about their research with the Ragg Topp product. They recommend it for their fabrics but they strongly recommend NOT using it on vinyl. The product contains petroleum distillates that can actually be harmful to the vinyl over time. For vinyl they simply recommend soap and water with no protectant needed.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:02 AM

Old 08-17-2001, 09:04 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=21782
Quote from this thread:

"I don't work for RaggTopp. But I did do my homework on this stuff and I did maintain
conversations with the presidents of several vendors in addition to the one at RaggTopp to learn
the facts before I chose a product and then relayed it to my fellow Stook owners. I welcome
you to embrace the facts as well, or contact any person you would deem knowledgeable. For
starters:

Jim Hunt, President, Autofanatics
Rich Donley, HAARTZ
Rick Hesel, Owner, Rick's Signature Accessories
Rick Goldstein, President, Wolfstein's Pro Series "

So which is it? HAARTZ both recommends and does not recommend using RaggTop? Sure seems that 303 is still the preferred treatment.
Old 08-17-2001, 11:53 AM

Lemme know cause I have my unopened bottles right here
Old 08-17-2001, 03:04 PM

Haartz does recommend Ragg Topp for FABRIC tops. They do not recommend it for vinyl tops. Glen Raven still recommends 303 Hi-Tech Fabric Guard for their acrylic fabrics (Glen Raven is the acrylic fabric supplier to Haartz). This is not the same as the 303 for vinyl. However, Glen Raven is in the process of evaluating the Ragg Topp product and so far results look promising.

SilverStreak,

I don't work for 303 or Ragg Topp either!!! I do work for Glen Raven as the Director of Research and Development, so my days are spent designing and testing fabrics for outdoor use, including convertible tops. I work closely with the R&D staff of Haartz. I base my recommendations on experience, research, and testing not marketing hype.

Bottom line - Use whatever you like!! If it looks good, feels good, or even smells good to you go ahead and try it. In all honesty it probably won't matter much what you use. We (just like all other vinyl owners) will need a replacement top in a few years anyway!!
Old 08-17-2001, 03:39 PM

A really confusing thread. I bought 2 cans of the Ragg Topp from Auto Fanatics. Put it on and it looks good But now it seems I'm told that it's harmful. What a waste of time and money! Very frustrating.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:45 PM

I just follow what the owner's manual says: Mild soap and water. Well, if it doesn't work, I'll have to replace it!

This subject has so many opinions, I really don't know what to use. So I'll just follow the "Soap and Water" theory and see how it goes.
Old 08-21-2001, 04:26 PM

Any idea what the log term affect of using RAGGTOPP would be? Doesn't seem like the product is capable of doing damage like Windex on our back windows.
Old 08-23-2001, 06:20 AM
Banned

Guys, I just got through slapping this bad information down on another thread. Here is the bottom line.

RaggTopp is the First and Only Cleaner and Protectant that is ENDORSED by Haartz for Vinyl and Fabric tops. I received the letter of endorsement in my first shipment of RaggTopp becasue I had gone round and round and asked about the product to both Honda and RaggTopp. Honda uses RaggTopp when they do show detailings on the S2000. Honda gave me my first can. I called RaggTopp to get more and got the endorsement letter, as well as the information from them confirming that RaggTopp is the appropriate applicant for the Vinyl tops.

If you have RaggTopp, you have the right stuff for the S2000.

And just FYI, our top is not a regular straight vinyl top like other vendors. If it were, it would bead water on its own. Its a fabric/vinyl laminate. Almost a nylon blend from what the manufacturer says. It's porous and will absorb water and decay if not sealed.

Long term effect of using RaggTopp? Clean, Dark Top with no decaying fibers that beads water and makes the other chumps jealous...
Old 08-23-2001, 10:07 AM

Silver Streak, thanks for the research and the apparently authoritative opinion. I was beginning to wonder if I had made a bad investment with my two jugs of cleaner & protectant.

cal

Quick Reply: Ragg Topp warning!!!