S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Quick Car Wash Method!

Old 06-17-2005, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Car Wash Method!

I was in kind of a hurry earlier today so I was trying to think of a pretty quick way to get my car clean, fast. I was thinking about doing what I read on that care care site and get a bucket of water and microfiber towel and go over the car, but I think it was a little too dirty for that, I would have been scared to scratch the paint.

So I went to the car wash and spent $1.00 and sprayed my car down with the high pressure rinse. Since I have an uncountable amount of coats of zaino on my car, by the time I go home all the water was pretty much gone and I had very few water spots. I then pulled out the 50/50 mix of Z6 and finished up what the rinse left off. Afterwards I threw on a little Z16 tire gloss, sprayed on some Stoner glass cleaner, and then wiped my dash down with a rag saturated in 303.

The whole process took maybe 45 min. and it was a pretty complete little wash.

Now my question is: How safe are those pressure washers at the car wash? I have not used one in years in fear of my paint, but I just had to give it a shot again. I didn't get too close to the car with it and I kept it off the side windows and the top so I would not risk the seals. Does this seem like a prety safe method? If so it was really quick. Thanks for reading,

--Mark
Old 06-17-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Even quicker would be to use something like QEW (Quick and Easy Wash). You could do the whole car in 20-30 minutes, no driving, no hose required. Any of the hoseless washes would work. All you need is 2 buckets (using the 2 bucket method, aren't we?), a couple gallons of water (one in each bucket), a washmitt and a dollop of QEW.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:30 PM

That sounds pretty good as well. I think what it was that suprised me is how easy it was just to stop on the way home from work, put in 4 quarters and walk around the car spraying it. haha.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I would hesitate to use a PW to wash the car... Definitely use it to clean wheels and wheel wells, but I'd use it from a good distance on any painted surface. But that's me... I'm just imagining whatever dirt IS on there getting pushed into the paint with all that pressure. Don't know if that's actually how it works, but that's my imagination
Old 06-18-2005, 06:23 AM

Ya that is one thing I was wondering about, thats part of the reason I posted this up, to get some feedback on pressure washing.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From the land of the love bugs, I used car wash pressure wands on my MY00 (constantly-weekly or more) for 2 yrs (I lived in a complex that allowed no car washing) including the headlight housings and it (the finish) showed no ill effects. It looked as good as any MY00 in the gallery when I sold it. My instinct says to be careful around the headlight/taillight housings and any rock chips you might have. I think the wand is less likely to scratch than any kind of mitt with any # of buckets, just my $.02
Mike
Old 06-19-2005, 03:11 PM

I was kind of thinking the same thing since there is not contact besides the pressure of the water. I think I will continue it until I see some negative results or get some negative feedback on doing so. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:05 AM

Been using pressure washers on my cars for years, with no ill results.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YZER,Jun 17 2005, 06:45 PM
I was in kind of a hurry earlier today so I was trying to think of a pretty quick way to get my car clean, fast. I was thinking about doing what I read on that care care site and get a bucket of water and microfiber towel and go over the car, but I think it was a little too dirty for that, I would have been scared to scratch the paint.

So I went to the car wash and spent $1.00 and sprayed my car down with the high pressure rinse. Since I have an uncountable amount of coats of zaino on my car, by the time I go home all the water was pretty much gone and I had very few water spots. I then pulled out the 50/50 mix of Z6 and finished up what the rinse left off. Afterwards I threw on a little Z16 tire gloss, sprayed on some Stoner glass cleaner, and then wiped my dash down with a rag saturated in 303.

The whole process took maybe 45 min. and it was a pretty complete little wash.

Now my question is: How safe are those pressure washers at the car wash? I have not used one in years in fear of my paint, but I just had to give it a shot again. I didn't get too close to the car with it and I kept it off the side windows and the top so I would not risk the seals. Does this seem like a prety safe method? If so it was really quick. Thanks for reading,

--Mark
It takes me 45 minutes to wash and dry my entire car in my driveway so I don't think you've saved yourself anything; just do it the right way!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:09 PM

Peter

Quick Reply: Quick Car Wash Method!