S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

questions about detailing

Old 01-27-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about detailing

hey guys, I recently bought a used s2000 and am thinking about detailing my car. The car itself has a bunch of swirl marks and after looking up in these forums about swirl marks i'm now thinking about buying a porter cable. but i notice that there's a Porter Cable 7336 and a Porter Cable 7424. Is there a difference between the two? also what else would i need to detail my car? I'm a noob at detailing and don't know where to start. all i know is I need to:

1.) wash the car with liquid dawn or anything that would remove previous wax/polish buildup.
2.) Claybar the car (does it matter what type of claybar???)
3.) wash the car again.
4.) Polish the car. (dunno what type of polish to use??? and what kind of pad???)
5.) Wax the car. (also don't know what kind/brand to use and what kind of pad)

i think thats it. I've also read that it's a good idea to wax the car more than once
to give it a better shine, though i'm kinda confused on what combination of waxes i should use. Oh, i almost forgot, what type of cleaner/shampoo do ya'll use to clean the soft top to give it a brand new look.

i know that's a lot of questions but any suggestions/answers will be greatly appreciated!

thanks!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't bother with the Dawn wash if you're going to polish the car. People recommend against the Dawn wash because with frequent and repeated use it will dry out rubber seals and plastic and such.

I'd suggest you look at http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

and specifically Autopia's "Perfect Shine Kit" in combination with their process of "The Perfect Shine" http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-perfect.html

The 7424 and 7336 are essentially the same, though the 7336 has a slightly heavier counterweight (some prefer it, but it's only $5 or so if you want to "upgrade" your 7424). I like the Sonus DAS pad kit for a beginner. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/sondas.html. You can probably find a great deal on either polisher on ebay or often times at Lowe's/Home Depot for about $100.

Clean the top with Raggtopp or 303 cleaner and dress/protect it with Raggtop or 303 Aerospace Protectant (the top is Vinyl, so don't use the "fabric" versions of the protectants). Wash it as you would the rest of your car, but "protect" it every 3 months or so (or more frequently if you really want to go through all that). And "clean" it with the cleaner probably every 6 months or so, or if it gets really nasty.

I'm sure others will have opinions on what they like best, but check out my post here demonstrating the "Perfect Shine" technique. Although quality products are important, those specific products aren't required - just ones that match those shown in the post...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=323095

Good luck with it!

Oh, and there's TONS of great advice on the http://www.autopia.org forums.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great advice from animeS2K !

my only comments- for your first time polishing and using the pc, i suggest posting up in your local club (on this board) for someone with experience to help out. great way to make a new friend, and learn how to use the machine from someone with experience! you could offer to supply products to do your car and his (or hers), or supply refreshments-
its not that the process is hard, but its a new process for you and always easier to get tips from someone who has learned the hard way!

type of wax is completely personal- but my recommendation would be (since you are taking the time to clay and polish) to go a couple coats of synthetic and top them with a coat of p21s (a carnuba).
the actual synthetic is a personal choice- i like finish first, zaino and klasse. i think that if i was looking for the easiest of those, i would choose finish first. my car has zaino topped by p21s now.

by the way, i am glad to see that you are into the process!- you certainly qualify for our badge... if you would like one, send me a pm and i will get it set up for you.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:00 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Klasse AIO,topped with P21S.
Sonus quick detailer for quick jobs.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:05 PM

thanks for the tips/suggestions guys i really appreciate it. I'm going to detail my car next week after I order all the products that I need. Can't wait for the results!
Old 01-28-2006, 11:13 PM

lol, it looks like I have a lot of reading to do.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:33 AM

I have just done a Klasse All In One the followed by the sealent glaze and then Natty's Blue wax to top it off. very happy with the results.

The light is very poor but here is a shot

Pictures taken down by the sea
Old 01-29-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice job rob!!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:43 PM

thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Rob