S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Question about Swirl Removal

Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Swirl Removal

Hey Guys,
I got my PC 7424 from Phil a while ago. I figured I would get it out and try it out on my wifes car. The car has been washed primarily by the touchless car washes and waxed with the trigloss feature.
I decided to detail the car about two weeks ago and I washed the car with dawn, then dried it off. I then used my PC with a white pad and Meguiars swirl remover 2.0. After going over the car, it looked better, but some swirls were still there. I then topped it off with Klasse AIO. I then did plexus on the lights, and used black wow on the trim. The car looked pretty good.
Then today, I simply washed it with gold class shampoo and dried it off with a big blue waffle weave towel and then the swirls seemed to reappear everywhere and some of the areas that had been bombed by birds had a slight whitish hue to them, whearas before they didn't show as much. I also noticed that some of the areas that I had applied touch up paint to, the paint was coming out and the black wow had seemed to wash right off the surface.
I am puzzled at how it seemed like everything was reversed. I thought the black wow would have stayed on the surface longer.
Do you think the trigloss from all the trips through the touchless carwash had anything to do with it. I was also wanting to know what pad and swirl remover do you recommend?
I feel like I wasted 9 hours for nothing At least now I have a good feel for the PC!!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

my guess is that you achieved very little correction with the polish that you used and that you did not do an IPA wipe down. Without using any halogens or some sort of light to inspect your work right after the lubricants from the polish could have temporarily filled those swirl marks in. After washing it you wash the lubricants away and the swirls are back. Try an IPA wipedown after a polishing step. If that doesnt help hit it with a more aggressive pad and polish and that should do the trick.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I read on car detailing forums....Honda paint is really soft. When I detailed my car I got rid of most swirls but after my next wash, a lot of them came back.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:02 AM

a wipedown of Isopropynol and distilled water
Old 05-21-2008, 02:09 AM
hue

Originally Posted by hecash,May 20 2008, 08:05 AM
What does IPA stand for? Is there a glossary here?
IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol
Old 05-21-2008, 06:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Many have no idea what I and many others go through to keep a soft black paint honda swirl free. Washing technique must become your religion to keep it looking perfect. Good news is it is possible! It sounds like in this situation the swirls were not actually removed however even if your car is perfect, one poorly done wash can re-create all swirls.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moonsurfer,May 19 2008, 08:45 PM
Do you think the trigloss from all the trips through the touchless carwash had anything to do with it.
Personally, I've always been suspect of those car washes. A lot of those places recycle their water, and even if their filtration systems are very good, that just gives me a bad feeling.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Former Moderator

This happens a lot in the beginners world.

Swirl Remover 2.0 is a chemical cleaner/polish that is loaded fillers. You filled the scratches, then washed your car and removed them. Get a true polish and mechanically remove your swirls and scratches.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 AM

knowing what car and pics would be helpful. definitely step up to a polish with cut and i would suggest picking up some orange and maybe even yellow pads. in addition, the biggest pad size i would go with on a pc is 5.5in, 4in would be even better just way more time consuming.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Thank you for all of the replies. I am going to order a swirl removal kit with the appropriate pads and give it another shot

Quick Reply: Question about Swirl Removal