S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

QEW vs. Optimum No Rinse Wash

Old 03-08-2006, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default QEW vs. Optimum No Rinse Wash

Its still that time of year for many, where the hoses are still not out for washing. For those wanting the "no rinse washing method" these two products will basically do the same thing. Don't get drawn into the hype of Opt's new product. Its not "all that"

For those with berlina and other black and darker finishes, I do however, highly recommended as there are NO water spots to deal with.

Both these products are mainly used in winter in my neck of the woods, but I'm going to be incorporating this no rinse this summer as well, as its finally readily available to me.

QEW:
ProtectAll's Quick and Easy Wash is still my preferred no rinse solution. Once you add QD to it, it really leaves the finish smooth and ready for compound work.

OPTNRW/ONR/:
Optimum No Rinse Wash:
Don't believe the hype over at autopia. This new competitor to QEW did not live up to my expectations. It was supposed to have a QD-like mixture already built in so NO mixing or additions were needed. However, that wasn't the case as my finish was clean, but not smooth and silky like the QEW. I will try to add a bit more QD and see if it improves the quality of the wash.

Just thought I'd share this info as both products are basically the same , there is not significant advantage over one or the other, and I recommend to get which ever one is more accessible.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great review simon!!

first "waterless wash" review that i have seen on our board- and we have had several questions on this...
Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 AM

I forgot to mention, i've been told for all you Berlina owners to avoid "water spots" , use distilled water with QEW or OPNRW and stand back and be amazed on a warm sunny day.

I have my distilled water, and qew/opt , just waiting till this weekend to test out the water spot issue
Old 03-08-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting . . . I have QEW and today my order of Optimum No Rinse Wash just arrived. Incidentally, Detailer's Pride has thrown their hat in the ring with their own version of a "no rinse wash." They claim theirs offers more lubricity than the Optimum which everyone claims provides more lubricity than QEW.

Hopefully, I'll be able to give the Optimum a go soon and then I'll add my thoughts about the product to the board. Since I still have plenty of QEW left, I'm hoping the money I spent on the Optimum is worth it.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by s2ksimon,Mar 8 2006, 04:10 PM
......Optimum No Rinse Wash:
Don't believe the hype over at autopia. This new competitor to QEW did not live up to my expectations. It was supposed to have a QD-like mixture already built in so NO mixing or additions were needed. ....
SACRELIGIOUS!!! ... Seriously thanks for the review. Optimum products are pushed/ hyped to the max on Autopia and I don't know or understand why. The last time I posted negative comments concerning Optimum Spray Wax on Autopia I was summarily dismissed. Regardless, It is good to hear another side to the Optimum story every once in a while even if it is only one voice!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by petraidm,Mar 8 2006, 09:07 PM
The last time I posted negative comments concerning Optimum Spray Wax on Autopia I was summarily dismissed.
I'm just curious what you don't like about the Optimum Spray Wax. I have a bottle and I think considering it's a spray wax it's great. I wouldn't compare it to say a paste wax, because I feel that's not apples to apples. Also, I wouldn't use it or consider it as my only layer of paint protection. Personally, I like to use it to "freshen up" whatever type of wax or sealant I have on the car.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:51 AM

First of all there is something about the finnish on my son's black Accord that seems to bring out the worst in products that will not be repeated on another car. My issue with Optimum spray wax was I could not get it applied / removed from his car without streaking regardless of technique or product under optimum. I did not have this problem on my other cars. It was such a pain on my son's car that I quite using it after about 1/4 of the car and switched to an LSP which I was able to apply / remove quicker and have a better final look. BTW ... ZPC is a lousy product on my son's Accord too.

As far as Optimum on all the other vehicles it was just so-so. At best it had an average look, slickness and durability; not nearly as good (in my opinion) as the product described on Autopia. As far as using it as a QD, I did that a few times but not being a fan of the slickness, I ended up givind it away to one of my son's friends.

After 3 years of trying what seems like every product mentioned on Autopia, I am back to Zaino and really like using z6 and especially Z8 to freshen up the appearance!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:13 AM

After 3 years of trying what seems like every product mentioned on Autopia, I am back to Zaino and really like using z6 and especially Z8 to freshen up the appearance!
exactly what i've done for lsp's..
Old 03-09-2006, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by petraidm,Mar 9 2006, 07:51 AM
As far as Optimum on all the other vehicles it was just so-so. At best it had an average look, slickness and durability; not nearly as good (in my opinion) as the product described on Autopia. As far as using it as a QD, I did that a few times but not being a fan of the slickness, I ended up givind it away to one of my son's friends.

Wow! Sounds like your son's car is a serious PITA. Many years ago I regularly detailed a black Viper on which everything streaked. So, I can certainly sympathise.

I also understand your feelings about Autopia. Some of those guys really just go nuts when a new product comes out and it is instantly declared "better than sliced bread." I try to take most product reviews with a grain of salt and there are certainly some people's opinions who I respect more. I do like to try new things on a regular basis so I use other people's opinions to guide me. There's no doubt in my mind that because of Autopia new products have entered my detailing collection and are there to stay. I always thought I did a great job before, but now I'm just a little bit better. I'm definitely not faster though. I contribute that to reading this forum, Autopia, and Detail City.

As for Zaino, personally I've never really cared for the results I've seen with their products. I think there are certain colors like black where it is amazing, but IMO it seems to make some colors like reds and blues for example look plastic-like. Add that to the fact that durability is meaningless to me and that equals me not being a Zaino user. Anyway, I'm a firm believer that there is no "perfect product" which is right for everyone. There are trade offs with each one which makes each one good for different types of people. I've found an LSP that I'd like to stick with, but I'm still open to trying new things. I'm glad to see you are in the same position.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Mar 9 2006, 03:49 PM
... Anyway, I'm a firm believer that there is no "perfect product" which is right for everyone. There are trade offs with each one which makes each one good for different types of people. I've found an LSP that I'd like to stick with, but I'm still open to trying new things. I'm glad to see you are in the same position.
I could not agree more ... There is no perfect product! Products work differenet on different vehicles, on the same vehicle as it ages, for different people in different regions ..... etc. etc. As for new products on Autopia, I now wait for the hype to die down before taking a plunge and trying a new product.

I agree with your zaino comments .. on some cars it just looks (for lack of better terms) shiny and plasticy .. no real depth / wetnesss. I also think the look improved with z2pro and z8.

I am going to try Optimum and or Detailers pride rinseless wash but I am looking to them as an alternate to Poorboys spray and wash (i.e. make my own). Ireally don't need a rinseless wash in Louisnia since it never is reallly too cold to drag the hose out and I have shade to wash in summer so don't have to worry about water spots.

What's your opinion / recipe for a Spray and Wash using QEW or Optimum?

Quick Reply: QEW vs. Optimum No Rinse Wash