S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Pros! Let me know if this is ok?

Old 08-07-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pros! Let me know if this is ok?

So, i have probably the dirtiest s2000 according to some people. And last weekend i decided to clean it up a little.

Couple of questions.

I notice people suggest 303 for the vinyl top. i couldn't wait so i bough lexol vinylex from pep boys and it did what i consider a great job cleaning my top. i have not cleaned my top in 2.5 years of ownership, but i must say that vinylex did a GREAT job IMO. is 303 really that much better? Have any of you used that vinylex? its a little sloppy application but the end result is good.

Also i bought a 5" sanding pad and 5" gromets attached it to my drill and used that to remove the wax from my car also to find a good result. Do any of you use this method? i like the fact that it's wireless although my battery died before i finished the job but almost made it all the way through.

are these good methods or should i change up the technique for the next wash?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the drill seems a little different. ide suggest buying a porter cable from home dept. removing wax is easiest with Dawn dish soap and you apply it with the porter cable (PC).

if you didnt rewax it and it was very dirty i suggest you go to the local parts store and buy a clay bar. it should come with quick detail spray which is used as a lube for the clay bar. wash your entire car in car washing soap (since you have no wax, if so add 3 table spoons of dawn (est) to your bucket of water and wash the car. then dry it and use the caly bar. then rinse the car off, dry it again ( this process only has to be done once if you keep good care of your car from now on) now break out the wax. im not sure what brands you have on hand but many people prefer P21S or Zaino AIO (i believe thats correct). Synthetic waxes give more shine but carnubas wax is longer lasting. however, you can put a coat of synthetic UNDER* a coat of carnubas and get the best of both.

The PC will be helpful in applying wax evenly and with some practice and proper use of pads helps with any swirl marks of imperfections in the paint you have. Wanabe can help you with your PC selection or you can read more in some of the other threads.

hope this is all correct and helps you out. you need some pictures of your car so we can see what is in your lap. keep it clean, s2000's are wonderful looking cars and you will be surprised how many more heads it will turn while clean.

*synthetic doesnt like to bond ontop of carnubas so its better to put it under, plus it will make it last longer.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

meth-
good questions!
you are fine with vinylex... i am one of the few who prefers it over 303- i use both, but when it comes to my top vinylex is usually the one that gets pulled for duty!
i would absolutely not use the drill for detailing. imo, too much risk to accidentally "edging" the car, and you can burn your paint if you happen to hold in the same spot too long or use it at too high of a setting.
as importkid mentions, the porter cable is a much safer and better choice- the cost of the machine is a very small fraction of the cost of repair of paint burn.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there any cordless porter cables? the distance at which i can wash my car at my mom's house is rather far from the nearest outlet. that is why i tried the drill in the first place. i would need an insane extension cord to reach it. see she has an elevation that would teeter totter my car if i was to go up it, and she has a 1/4 acre lot and unfortunately the elevation occurs at the beginning of the driveway.

guess i got lucky on the vinylex. it did do a great job on the top, man, my top is BLACK again!!! on my next wash i may even empty a whole bottle on my top! it is worth the $6.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:07 PM

thats a little over kill. you may get some on your paint and top protectant is horribly known to look messy on paint. *if your not joking, if you are disreguard*

PC's only come with cords to the best of my knowledge. you may want to check out power inverters and see if that would help you out any.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by importkid,Aug 7 2006, 11:51 PM
Synthetic waxes give more shine but carnubas wax is longer lasting.
Actually, its the reverse of that statement. Synthetics last longer but many people still prefer Carnuba's for a deeper shine. Some synthetics can appear overly glossy but still leave the finish looking "flat" with no depth. The good synthetics will last around 6 months on a car that isn't constantly exposed to harsh elements. Carnuba's last around 30 to 45 days, depending on how they were applied and what the weather is like.