S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Product to Remove Tarnish from Stainless Mugen Header

Old 12-25-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts
Default Product to Remove Tarnish from Stainless Mugen Header

I have a Mugen stainless header on my car, like other headers it has tarnished up, it might have a couple rust spots, and general deposits that have burned into the surface.

Has anyone had luck spraying products on their header to remove deposits ?. I don't have much room to do a lot of scrubbing, sanding , or polishing, just wondering if I could spray a product on the header that would work. Ive got a bottle of TarnX that is designed for tarnished metals, not sure if there is something better I could use.

Thanks for any replies.

Joey
Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 AM

I found a recommendation to use Lime Away cleaning product in a different thread during a search. I'll give it a try and see how it works. I tried to delete the post but I couldn't .
Old 12-31-2011, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently received a J's racing header and it was discolored. What I did was got mothers metal polish, 1000 grit sand paper and 1200 grit sand paper all at a local auto store.

First I washed the header down with some throttle body cleaner
Then I wet sanded the whole header down with the 1000 grit.
Then take the 1200 grit with the metal polish and polish the whole header down. The whole process should take about 3 hours but at the end you will have a brand new looking header. Make sure after you re install the header clean it down with the throttle body cleaner because the oils from your hands with make it discolor more in the places you touched.
Hope this helps out
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SkateForGirl
Make sure after you re install the header clean it down with the throttle body cleaner because the oils from your hands with make it discolor more in the places you touched.
+1 to that, make sure before you start the car up that the header is spotless! once u start the car the blemishes on the header will remain on them
Old 01-01-2012, 02:48 PM

thanks for the replies, but the problem with my header is that it's on the car and I don't want to remove it just for cleaning. I was looking for something to spray on it in place, there isn't any room to use sandpaper on the header. The Mugen header is a tight install so I'd rather not remove it for cleaning as you have to pull the engine mount. I'll see how the Lime Away works.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
thanks for the replies, but the problem with my header is that it's on the car and I don't want to remove it just for cleaning. I was looking for something to spray on it in place, there isn't any room to use sandpaper on the header. The Mugen header is a tight install so I'd rather not remove it for cleaning as you have to pull the engine mount. I'll see how the Lime Away works.
Alright man. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Has anyone had luck spraying products on their header to remove deposits ?.
What are the deposits? A spray on solution is only going to work for certain type(s) of deposits whereas a polish should handle just about anything since it's essentially a very mild abrasive.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by takeshi
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1324866564' post='21263347
Has anyone had luck spraying products on their header to remove deposits ?.
What are the deposits? A spray on solution is only going to work for certain type(s) of deposits whereas a polish should handle just about anything since it's essentially a very mild abrasive.
well it is mostly tarnished, but some of it looks like rust and I'm mostly concerned with the rust (despite being stainless the still get rust spots). I know once you get it clean and drive it again the marks will return over time.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 PM

You could try IronX? I've never used it but it seems very popular among detailers. http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...n-X/index.html
Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by pearl_s2k
You could try IronX? I've never used it but it seems very popular among detailers. http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...n-X/index.html
Thanks for that suggestion, that sounds like a good idea and something I could use elsewhere on the car if it doesn't work. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Product to Remove Tarnish from Stainless Mugen Header