S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Product Recommendation & Advice for Detailing As A Side Job

Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

er. i meant opticoat. i get those 2 mixed up..

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

Directions:

Polish paint to remove any defects.
Clean surface with 15% IPA solution to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicones.
Prime the applicator by making an X pattern across the pad. Only a few drops will be needed for each subsequent panel.
Wipe Opti-Coat onto a single panel at a time in a thin layer using two directions, front to back, and then side to side.
Within 5 minutes, inspect the panel with adequate lighting looking for any thick areas that have not flashed away to clear.
Use foam applicator or paint safe microfiber to even out any areas where you see streaks. This step is key, as any spots not leveled will have to be polished if allowed to cure. Panels will feel a bit tacky and will be self-leveling during cure time, so avoid any unnecessary touching, wiping, or contact to produce the best results.
Repeat steps 1-6 for each panel where application is desired. Not recommended for glass.

50/50 is prob a bit too much for my needs but it really doesnt do any harm and its cheap so i never really pay attention.
i just pour some alc in a spray bottle and pour some filtered water in it.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just because some guy with access to Autogeek's website wrote to do a 15% IPA wipe doesn't mean it's necessary. If you watched the video I linked to, you can hear straight from Dr. David Ghodoussi, the big kahuna at Optimum Polymer Technologies, say that plain water is fine.

Why make it more complicated?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:55 PM

I might try both methods (with and without alcohol) and see if I can tell a difference in the results. I have a quick question, how many cars do you think I can do with my first round of products? I'm trying to figure up the cost of each car to come up with a business plan for my sister, who is buying me the supplies. In return I am detailing her car however many times equal to the cost of the products.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
I might try both methods (with and without alcohol) and see if I can tell a difference in the results. I have a quick question, how many cars do you think I can do with my first round of products? I'm trying to figure up the cost of each car to come up with a business plan for my sister, who is buying me the supplies. In return I am detailing her car however many times equal to the cost of the products.
Very rough estimates, and I'm pretty new to this.

32 oz M105 compound, 4 cars (sedan, hatch, coupe, S2000), 40% left
32 oz.M205 polish, 4 cars (hatch, coupe, 2x S2000), 60% left.
16 oz BFWD sealant, 5 cars (hatch, coupe, 3x S2000), 40% left.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwight
Just because some guy with access to Autogeek's website wrote to do a 15% IPA wipe doesn't mean it's necessary. If you watched the video I linked to, you can hear straight from Dr. David Ghodoussi, the big kahuna at Optimum Polymer Technologies, say that plain water is fine...
I watched the video. Dr. Ghodoussi specifically stated that there's no need for an alcohol wipe down (water is sufficient) IF you used the polishes manufactured by Optimum Polymer Technologies. He is stating that there are no oils or fillers in his Optimum-brand polishes. He is not making that claim for other brands of polish.

The Optimum Car Care website has instructions for applying Opti-Coat 2.0 that include a wipe down with 15% alcohol.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/ocoat1.php?li=4

My take on this would be that a water wipe down is sufficient after the use of Optimum-brand polishes. It may, or may not, be sufficient after the use of other polishes.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Okay, so after researching a few more products I think I'm probably going to go with the M105/205 combo and prima hydro sealant as it does not stain trim if I mess up, which will likely happen. Does anyone know of any good brushes for getting wax or sealant out of nooks and crannies? I looked on detailers domain and I could only find wheel brushes. Also would you guys advocate using wax AND sealant or just sealant? If you apply a carnauba wax underneath the sealant, will the carnauba wax last longer than the usual 6-8 weeks? Or should you just apply sealant then wax so the carnauba will give it a nice shine for a few weeks and then the sealant will continue to protect as the wax wears off?
Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Oh and I looked up ironx. Is it basically like sonax, but for the whole car?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

For removing dried wax, etc from hard to reach areas I use these foam swabs.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...urPicks&page=2
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
Originally Posted by dwight' timestamp='1353633788' post='22166839
Just because some guy with access to Autogeek's website wrote to do a 15% IPA wipe doesn't mean it's necessary. If you watched the video I linked to, you can hear straight from Dr. David Ghodoussi, the big kahuna at Optimum Polymer Technologies, say that plain water is fine...
I watched the video. Dr. Ghodoussi specifically stated that there's no need for an alcohol wipe down (water is sufficient) IF you used the polishes manufactured by Optimum Polymer Technologies. He is stating that there are no oils or fillers in his Optimum-brand polishes. He is not making that claim for other brands of polish.

The Optimum Car Care website has instructions for applying Opti-Coat 2.0 that include a wipe down with 15% alcohol.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/ocoat1.php?li=4

My take on this would be that a water wipe down is sufficient after the use of Optimum-brand polishes. It may, or may not, be sufficient after the use of other polishes.
Good point. I didn't think about when using other polishes. I guess I should revise my claim to Opti-Coat doesn't require an IPA wipe, but using a polish with oils/fillers may require an IPA wipe to remove the said oils/fillers, and it should be noted that Opti-Coat is far different from regular sealants.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
Okay, so after researching a few more products I think I'm probably going to go with the M105/205 combo and prima hydro sealant as it does not stain trim if I mess up, which will likely happen. Does anyone know of any good brushes for getting wax or sealant out of nooks and crannies? I looked on detailers domain and I could only find wheel brushes. Also would you guys advocate using wax AND sealant or just sealant? If you apply a carnauba wax underneath the sealant, will the carnauba wax last longer than the usual 6-8 weeks? Or should you just apply sealant then wax so the carnauba will give it a nice shine for a few weeks and then the sealant will continue to protect as the wax wears off?
In my opinion carnauba wax isn't work the time and hassle. Just use a synthetic sealant. They last much longer and are easier to apply. If you use both, I'm pretty sure that you have to do sealant first, then carnauba wax on top, otherwise the sealant can't bond to the paint. It would only be held on by the not as durable carnauba wax which would defeat the point of it. At the very least, you can get started without bothering with it and add it on later.

Quick Reply: Product Recommendation & Advice for Detailing As A Side Job