S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Problem w/Meguire's NXT

Old 08-07-2004, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The haze is caused by polymerization - you either applied too much, or you did not adequately clean the previous finish on your car before switching to NXT. Different products can cross-polymerize or build up, casuing "clouding" or a subtle "silvery sheen" on the surface.

NXT has only a small amount of chemical cleaner, basically the carrier mineral spirits.

I woud suggest starting from scratch - first use something like Meguiar's #9, preferably with a random orbital like the Porter Cable, and a mild cutting pad. Then follow up with #7 or Pinnacle Paintwork cleanser, NOW, apply the NXT, using a foam applicator, with a small blob put on the applkcator, then on the car. Let the whole car dry, remove with soft towel, and then use a detailing mist like Meguiar's #34 to even the polymers.

The 3M l;ine is great, but make sure you get the products for hand use.

If you are not experienced with paint finishes, you might want to leave it to a professional to get your car in the best shape it can, and then take over. I generally use a mdoeratelky aggressive cutting compound, then a fine cut, then one of the glazes like #9 or #7, then the protective coating (wax or finish).

I use Meguiar pads for the polsing and buffing, and the Porter-Cable random orbiter set for '4'.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using the next for about a couple of months and have had not problem one. The problem, like stated above, is probaly in the application. I have used a very light coat when applying and found it extremely easy to take off. And believe it or not,,,,not swirl mark one. And with a black S2 that is critical. I have found this type of wax to be very user friendly. It doesn't take much to get the desired results.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:11 PM

we did the whole wash/clay/cleaner/polish and wax yesterday. applied a VERY thin coat of the NXT and it was very easy to remove. very glossy, reflective finish on my '02 Sebring Silver.

-= joe =-
Old 08-10-2004, 06:24 PM

I've posted on this before. Road Rage is right on, but I've found one more cause: heat. Orlando is hot. NXT can't be applied cleanly to warm surfaces (the label says not to apply in direct sun, but its the surface temperature that is really the culprit). You've gotta wax in the early morning (6am or earlier) or evening (7:30 pm, or before sunset).

Second, apply less. Not a small amount, but smaller than that. I spray my foam applicator (sealants doesn't work super well with cotton applicators but they'll do in a pinch) with detail spray to thin the NXT. If you can see anything on your paint then that is enough coverage. Keep in mind that you can do a whole hood with a dime to nickel-sized drop of NXT with an orbital buffer. You'll use a little more by hand. Just keep your applicator damp and use very little pressure, letting the rotation of the pad in your hand do all the work.

If you'd like a similar product that can layer and is a little easier to remove, try Wolfgang by Pinnacle.