S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Prepping the vehicle for storage

Old 08-11-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping the vehicle for storage

So i will be deploying to Iraq soon. The big thing that's been on my mind is where my car will be located while i'm gone. So I found a friend to take care of it, but it will not be inside a garage or under any shelter. It will be stored on a secure compound from september 2006 through may of 2007.

I've already purchased a Honda car cover for the S, and also another multi purpose car cover that i can put over the honda car cover.

Now the only big thing i'm worried about is, oxidation/ it not getting washed/waxed. I have a friend starting it now and then, but i have no one to wash/wax it while i'm away. So this is what i'm trying to do. I'm looking for a combination of wax/car protectant that will last me till may of 2007.

I've read many threads regarding zaino. So far this is my idea of getting the car prepped for the next 8 months.

Exterior:
Dawn Wash
Z18 Clay bar
Z1 Polish Lok
Z2 Clear coat Polish
Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray

Would several coat of this Z1 / Z2 back and forth over couple of days period do the trick? Is this my best bet for long lasting protectant?

Interior:
Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner
Z-10 Leather in a Bottle

RagTop:
I have no clue, please chime in.

Ok so this is what i have in mind for my prep. Thanks in advance for all the advice

-jee
Old 08-11-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

All you ever wanted to know about putting a car into storage but were afraid to ask:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=247621
Old 08-11-2006, 10:44 AM

Wow, after close to 4 years of member ship of this board, i finally get a reply from xviper... haha j/k.

Thanks for the info xviper!
Old 08-12-2006, 12:20 PM

I'm a regular Zaino user. Z1 is outdated, I'm not even sure why they still list it. Use ZFX instead, you can mix it with Z2 or Z5 on the fly and apply as many coats back to back as you want. Their leather products are great, I use them every couple of months on my car and I love the results.

I have three cars that see regular Zaino applications including my daily driven Accord that gets waxed maybe once a year. I put Zaino on it last year and it went almost all winter before I started to notice that the paint wasn't beading up like it should. Being that you're going to apply multiple coats of Zaino and that your car will be covered I don't think you'll have a problem with Zaino providing good protection while you're gone.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some things not mentioned in the thread.

Since your car is going to be outside, make sure you tie the covers on tightly so that they can't flap against the paint. I might even consider adding some extra grommets and ties to the inner cover to make it even more immobile.
Friction BAD.

I always add 'stabil' ™ to my gas if I'm not going to be running the car for more than 3-4 months. I've had good luck with it.

I'd SOAK the top in 3M 303 or Raggtop protectant as well.

Be safe over there!!! Come back in one piece!!!
Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-12-2006, 02:42 PM

Thanks guys, I actually picked up some Raggtop for my top, some Lexol Leather Cleaner, and Lexol Leather Conditioner. I'm going to start with the prepping job soon and thanks for the tips on the fuel stabilizer mike.

-jee.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you got it "covered"- from the posts above.
if your friend can drive your car, and not just start it- that would be better... as long as he is driving it, he can check the paint.
i think that a few coats of zaino and the car covers should do the job.
a garage would be better, but sounds like you have a good second choice!
if your friend can check on the car whenever it rains (after the rain) that would be ideal.
make sure he knows how to vtec!
dont let the fuel stabilizer get old. clogged up my carbs on my tractor with old stabilizer; but its a great solution for your situation.
btw- thanks for your service to our country, and post back when you can!