S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Power washing

Old 09-04-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power washing

im have a 1600 psi power washer, and i was just wondering if that would be ok to use

and also, how do u get ur wheel wells really clean without removing the wheels
Old 09-04-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. i would not use it, and especially not on a convertible
what are you trying to do? maybe if you live in an area where they salt the roads for snow you might use it under the car... thats about the only reason i can think of to use it

2. only way to really clean them is to remove the wheels... many of us cheat and use wheel well sprays when we arent washing the wheel wells. they really work! at some point you will want to really clean your wheels and the only way to do that is to jack up the car and remove them. thats a good time to detail the wheel wells too.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by more_teens_need_sportscars,Sep 4 2005, 04:15 PM
im have a 1600 psi power washer, and i was just wondering if that would be ok to use

and also, how do u get ur wheel wells really clean without removing the wheels
Pressure washers can do a lot of damage (blast paint off, dent metal, cut a gash in your skin, etc) so I would avoid using it unless you are 100% sure it's OK. I know I would not use my pressure washer on any car, except for perhaps the low-pressure (500psi) soap nozzle that just pisses out suds gently. All the other nozzles are too severe for a car in my opinion.

You can buy low pressure nozzles that would be similar to what you find in a pay-type carwash stall, but I am not sure what the PSI rating is. So unless you know the various pressures and flow rates for the nozzles that came with your washer, and know they're OK, just stay away from the pressure washer with your cars.

Personally, I think the S2K is a little delicate in terms of the body panels and paint, so a sponge, garden hose, and bucket of suds is my preferred approach. If I want to blast algae off my vinyl siding or deck, then I get out the pressure washer.

Maybe someone else will have better information pertaining to cars.

Craig

P.S. I use simple green on wheels tires followed by a hand wash with suds
Old 09-05-2005, 01:15 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Do not go anywhere near a car that you like with a pressure washer.

There's little need to use the pressure washer on the wheelwells. The front wheel wells are totally covered in plastic and can be washed with a sponage like the rest of the car. For the rears, use a tire brush. Clean the front wheel wells when you clean the front tires, and do the rears at the end of wheel cleaning/ rocker panel phase of the wash. I like to wash the mufflers and rear suspension pieces before the rear wheel wells.

The rear wheel wells should stay pretty dark and is not necessary to wash each time, the front wheelwells should be washed each time.

Think of washing the car like washing a horse. You wouldn't spray down a horse with pressure washer, nor should you for your car. Warm water, very generous and soft sponage...
Old 09-06-2005, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S. I use simple green on wheels tires followed by a hand wash with suds
Hey Craig,

Be careful with simple green, I hear it can deteriorate your wheels and tires. You're better off purchasing a product made specifically for car tires and wheels. Go here for some good info on this topic. Then again, maybe you just don't care as much as some of us and in that case, I don't think simple green is THAT bad Just thought I would pass along some advice

Jim
Old 09-06-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

You can dillute Simple Green, but I find Meguiar's wheel spray as being better and much less expensive. You can buy it a gallon jugs and it mixes 4:1 with its own spray bottle. A gallon costs like $30.00.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superjimbo,Sep 6 2005, 12:09 PM
Hey Craig,

Be careful with simple green, I hear it can deteriorate your wheels and tires. You're better off purchasing a product made specifically for car tires and wheels. Go here for some good info on this topic. Then again, maybe you just don't care as much as some of us and in that case, I don't think simple green is THAT bad Just thought I would pass along some advice

Jim
Hey, thanks for letting me know! I'll switch to something else; I was only using SG since I had it around and it seemed to work OK.

Craig
Old 09-07-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by more_teens_need_sportscars,Sep 4 2005, 04:15 PM
I've been using a Honda 2200 psi powerwasher on my vehicles for the past 5 yrs with only great results.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

<Wannabe> " ... many of us cheat and use wheel well sprays when we arent washing the wheel wells. "

Can you give me a name of a common wheel well spray? Never heard of such a thing.

I have a build up of tar, just in the wheel wells from a recent road trip. I was careful to drive slowly and didn't get any on the paint but the wheel wells are bad. It is like bits of sand embedded in tar. It's going to need more than Coke to remove this stuff.

Bobby,
Old 09-12-2005, 12:48 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KBobby,Sep 9 2005, 04:20 PM
<Wannabe> " ... many of us cheat and use wheel well sprays when we arent washing the wheel wells. "

Can you give me a name of a common wheel well spray? Never heard of such a thing.

I have a build up of tar, just in the wheel wells from a recent road trip. I was careful to drive slowly and didn't get any on the paint but the wheel wells are bad. It is like bits of sand embedded in tar. It's going to need more than Coke to remove this stuff.

Bobby,
Yes,interested in wheel well cleaner too.!!!
Brand name,and where to get?
Crappy Tire.?

Quick Reply: Power washing