S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

is it possible to wash a car without a hose?

Old 09-13-2007, 04:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTScott,Sep 13 2007, 07:56 AM
I have used Protectal's Quick and Easy wash for years. It was the product that the Optimum and other products were created to compete with. I have found that they all work about the same, it just happens that I can get the QEW locally and for about $20 for a GALLON.

You have to get the technique right and the car, like others said, can't be that dirty. If done correctly though, you will not harm the surface at all.

I have also used QEW for years.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:52 AM

so we have 2 votes for QEW and 1 for Optimum...but i can't go wrong with either? you don't rinse it off, right? you simply use the 2 bucket method to minimize dirt particles in the cleaning apparatus, and then towel it dry? you can imagine my skepticism here...
Old 09-13-2007, 06:55 AM

You will be fine with any of the products. The application procedure is correct. I have a How-To up on S2katlanta. I will copy it over here.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

buy a bucket, wash mitt, soap, go to a car wash, rinse, wash with the wash mitt never the brush they have, rinse, dry, done

done this many of times and comes out the same if i'm back at my parents house.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:09 PM

Many car washes say no bucket washing though... Or even Hand wiping down the car.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:38 AM

well, i've had my NFR for about 4 weeks now, and i finally gave it its first wash. i'm waiting on some Z2, so maybe i'll wash again next week and wax it then.

before:

after:

by the way, what is the black stuff on the rims? it's not brake dust, is it? probably just grime from the road?

Old 09-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Use QEW or ONR, rinseless wash solutions. They work great and can be done with very little water in an apartment situation. I wash my car with QEW even though I have both a foam cannon and foam gun for washing it the traditional way.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:54 PM

yeah, i went to pep boys and auto zone and neither of them carried QEW or ONR, so i just picked up some Meguiar's gold wash and went to town. i did NOT use ordinary soap/dove/whatever which supposedly strips everything off in a pre-clay+wax routine.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by AP100_JA,Sep 15 2007, 04:21 PM
to twll you the truth, youve never heard that soap is kinda bad for your car. the reason for this is, is becase if you wash your car so much with soap in the long run the paint will start peeling. I use soap every 6 months. thats when i use the clay bar and do a full detail, for the rest of the times i just use one bucket and the shamy(from absorbers) and a dust mop that works really well and then after im done i use quick detailing car wax and it feels like a babies bottom
What?!?!?!

I don't know who told you that washing your car would make the paint peel off, but that's the biggest bunch of B.S. (a/k/a misinformation) I've ever heard.

Originally Posted by boofer, Sep 15 2007, 04:54 PM
yeah, i went to pep boys and auto zone and neither of them carried QEW or ONR, so i just picked up some Meguiar's gold wash and went to town. i did NOT use ordinary soap/dove/whatever which supposedly strips everything off in a pre-clay+wax routine.
ONR can only be bought on-line unless you live near a "boutique" detailing supply store. QEW however can be found at camper/RV dealerships and stores that cater to owners of those vehicles.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AP100_JA,Sep 17 2007, 07:56 AM
you've never seen those cars that the paint is peeling off, they peel off white kinda of, and i said in the looooonnngg run, and usally i dont let my S get so dirty for it to need soap i just water her down and use a shamy, or just use a duster on her
Dude, I hope you are joking with us...

Quick Reply: is it possible to wash a car without a hose?