S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Porter Cable Questions

Old 12-27-2004, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porter Cable Questions

Just got the porter cable for Christmas. I have read multiple posts about this, and still had a few questions.
-from what I read, 3M swirl remover is the best for removing swirls on the whole car
-what kind of prep do I need to do before I use this?
-what kind of pads do I need?
-how hard do I push?
-how many times can I do this before I eat through the clear coat?
-any other advice is helpful

I did read the autopia site, and it was helpful. Just trying to get more concise info on this. I have a Berlina, and it is difficult to keep the way I like it. I want people to look at it and think "Now thats a nice paint job!"

Wanabe, you are full of info, and anything you have to add would be great. I know how hard you work on keeping your car perfect.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:20 PM

And once I am done removing swirls, what should I follow up with? P21S alone, or some kind of combo. I am willing to go all out.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:02 AM

Lots of questions ....

Products: I have used Meguiar's #83 / #80 and Menzurna IP / FP I will be trying Poorboys SSR 2.5 / 1.0 next year. I have not tried the 3 M products.
Pads: Sonus DAS pds or LC Pads

Procedure:
Always start with the least agressive product / pad (e.g. #80 or FP on a polishing Pad) and get more aggressive only if necessary. If you need to get more agressive step up the polish (e.g. #83 and IP) first, If still not aggressive enough, switch to the cutting pad. The key is get a good product and stick with it to "learn" it. Swirl removal is all about product and technique.

Pre Swirl
1) Wash
2) Tar removal
3) Clay
4) Rinse and Dry

Work in small 2x2 sections
1)Soak the pad with product by making a big X with the product on the pad
2)Place the pad on the car and spread the product over the 2x2 section at a speed of 2-3
3)Crank the PC to 5-6 and work the product over the section in an "Across, Up&down, Diagonal" pattern. Keep working the product until it starts to break down (i.e. dusts). The amount of pressure is set by pushing down until you hear the PC start to bog then back-of so it is not bogging down. Remember you got the machine let it do the work; you are only the guide.

4) After product has broken down, remove with MF towel.

5) If there are still swirls step up the product and or pad and repeat steps 1-4

6) If you ended up using the most abrasive polish / pad you will most likely have to repeat the process with a less agressive polish (e.g. FP, #80 SSR 1.0) to remove buffer haze or cloudiness.

Again ... It's 90% process / 10% product. Pick a product and stick with it and learn how to use it.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:49 AM

3M swirl remover may not do the best job at REMOVING swirls. What I mean is that this product has fillers in it that remain on the paint after polishing, and fill in the swirl marks. It will remove the swirls slightly, but it also fills in the swirls to make it appear as if they have been removed. If this is what you are setting out to do then cool, but some people would rather remove the swirls all together. If this is what you're after then a polish without any fillers would be best. Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish were mentioned above and are polishes without any fillers. They seem to be pretty good products and a lot of people at autopia use them.

What you may want to do is use something with fillers (the 3M stuff) periodically, say every 3-4 months as it is a very mild abrasive to fill the swirls. Then maybe once a year use something w/out fillers to take out the swirls completely. This might be too frequent, but you get the idea. Hopefully wanabe will chime in, because I think he uses a similar technique. Try searching for topics about the PC.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow- lotsa questions and some great answers above!

the main thing i would add to the ideas above is to try your new machine on another car first, if you can... if you dont have another car (wife's car, beater car, or whatever) you prob have a friend with a beater sorta car who would be happy for you to learn.
i learned on one of my own cars many years ago, but by waxing and removing product with the machine before i learned to polish.
not likely that you will mess anything up, but you will learn a lot and gain confidence after the first use.
prob my main tip you might have seen before- with polish, you gotta really work the stuff- its not like waxing.
and after you polish (thats what swirl removal is), you need to rewax/ or synthetic coat the car-
if you really wanna go all out like you suggest, use an enthusiast product like zaino, klasse, etc.
----------
edited to add:
gotta note from a friend who thought that my post above might be misleading... i suggested that you use another car for your first try not cause you might mess it up (not worried about that), but because you will be more relaxed and not as worried about messing it up. its much more fun when you are relaxed... and then you find out that it really is easy and fun and you are ready to do your car!
Old 12-28-2004, 03:35 PM

I ran out of time earlier this morning ... see edited post above!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't forget to clay the car before starting. May as well have a clean car to start off with.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:59 PM

I got one. I am just learning to use it. This site has some good info http://www.properautocare.com/problemsolving.html.

Good advise to practice on a different car. I practiced on my mother-in-law
Old 01-03-2005, 02:38 PM

Where is the best place to get the Porter Cable. I got some extra christmas money and I would like to get one. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

got my last one several years ago at coastal tool (it is also a sander)...

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCar...6a40+1104847415

Quick Reply: Porter Cable Questions