S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Porter Cable 7336SP Questions-which pads to buy

Old 08-07-2003, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porter Cable 7336SP Questions-which pads to buy

I'm buying a porter cable from lowes that includes the polishing pad for $109.

My question is will the pads from proper auto care hook right on and work or do i need an adapter or anything to use them?

http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html

Brennan
Old 08-07-2003, 08:35 AM

Would the porter cable accessory kit at the bottom of this page work- http://www.properautocare.com/porcabac.html
Old 08-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Former Moderator

That kit will get you started. You'll need the 6" velcro plate in that kit to use any of the pads from proper auto. You'll love this machine. I use mine all the time. One thing I'd recommend is the Viper Microfiber Bonnets for removing wax and Zaino. I dislike the terry cloth ones.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Meguiar's backing plate and velcro pads for mine. http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/s...archResults.cfm
(P+C makes the dual-action polisher for Meguiar's.) You've made a good decision to go with this polisher. I've had one for almost four years -- do all my cars with it. Saves time and provides great results.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know DoGMan had given me a great PC site but I do not have it handy.. I will PM him.... but the rage right now in Porter Cable use is the use of the Orange Power Pad..

<http://www.properautocare.com/orangepowerpad.html>
Old 08-07-2003, 11:47 AM

That orange pad sounds great, definitely will have to get one of them. I guess i'll just order that kit since it includes the backing plate and everything i need(i think).
Old 08-07-2003, 02:37 PM

The orange pad is for cutting. Do you have swirling and hazing you are trying to remove? Which polish are you using with the pad. You don't really want to attack minor issues with an aggresive pad. The white pad is more of a light polish/finishing pad. It is a little safer to use for someone unfamiliar with the pads/polish system. You can still use a more abrasive polish with the white pad, you just have to go over the area a few more times for deeper swirling.

For a very light polish or glaze, use the black pad.

By the way, the pad that your PC came with is the same white finishing pad included in that kit. Only the backing system is different. Give that pad a try before you move to the orange.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:15 PM

Cool- i basically want to use a polish and then finish with a wax- so i should use a black pad for the polish and then wax with the white? Or the other way around?

I think what i'll do it get the porter cable and polish by hand and try waxing with the pad given- since i understand you cant polish then wax with the same pad, correct?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:16 PM

You want to use the white pad for the polish and the black for the wax. If you have two black pads, you can also use the black for the wax if you are using the PC. You really don't want to use the same pad for polish and wax without first washing and drying it.

So yes, you generally want to switch pads for each step. It's a more a guideline than a rule, though. I have more than once used the same pad to "spot" polish a scratch with a higher abrasive, then continued on with the lighter. Polish to polish is sorta ok, but don't mix polish and wax.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brennanob
[B]I'm buying a porter cable from lowes that includes the polishing pad for $109.

Quick Reply: Porter Cable 7336SP Questions-which pads to buy