S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Polishing in Winter Climates

Old 02-27-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing in Winter Climates

I realize waxing a car in freezing or even cold wet conditions are pointless but what about polishing? Is it possible to buff out a car in 40 degree weather. Assuming of course you don't mind freezing your ass off. I don't have my new daily driver (a 2001 BMW 330i) on the road yet but as it sits under my carport I can't help but wonder on some of these miserable days while I'm vegetating around the house would it be possible for me to pull out my P/C and Menzerna Intensive Polish and start buffing out some swirls? I figure if I can get it 100% prepped right now I can ad sealant and wax later. Is this possible or should I just relax sit back and crack another cold one.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good question- no experience here, but my guess is that the warmth of the machine and friction will make the polish work...

i do want to comment on polishing without waxing or protecting the paint = dont !

when you polish, the car has no protection from the elements. imo better to leave on some protection than to have none.

i would either find a friend with a garage or post up in your local forum on this board to see if someone has a garage that they would let you use- you can buy portable garage heaters-

cold weather is very hard on the wax/ synthetic- and very hard to cure them in cold... a garage that has at least a little warmth will help out a lot over the cold outdoors.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe,Feb 27 2008, 04:55 PM
good question- no experience here, but my guess is that the warmth of the machine and friction will make the polish work...

i do want to comment on polishing without waxing or protecting the paint = dont !

when you polish, the car has no protection from the elements. imo better to leave on some protection than to have none.

i would either find a friend with a garage or post up in your local forum on this board to see if someone has a garage that they would let you use- you can buy portable garage heaters-

cold weather is very hard on the wax/ synthetic- and very hard to cure them in cold... a garage that has at least a little warmth will help out a lot over the cold outdoors.
What I was planning to do was just get the car prepped for waxing. Not drive it in the mean time. It would stay under my carport covered until the weather warmed enough for me to add a couple coats of sealant then wax.