S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

polishing by hand

Old 04-09-2007, 01:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default polishing by hand

i'm a wash and wax noob, and i don't want to invest in a pc yet as my car sits outside all day (i'm a student)...

so are there any recommendations as to which polish is easiest to apply by hand?

so far i have taken a look at the klasse aio and sg and they seem to be the easiest process. am i just wasting my time here with polishing since my car it is not a garage queen?

thanks for the help!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes...

none !!

they are all a royal pia (actually pain in the hand, arm and upper body)- to polish properly takes several hours of rubbing hard. been there done that- and never again. you are lucky that you have me to talk you outta trying!!

the secret of how to polish without a machine and also without killing yourself follows:

post up in your local forum that you are a student who wants to learn how to polish, but you dont have a machine... say that you are willing to buy the products and even supply refreshments if someone will bring their machine and show you how to use it.
guaranteed good time, possible new friend, and shiny new car all for the cost of your products and some food.

the car will be new after this process, so if you wanna keep it looking new, a car cover is your next friend.

let us know how this goes!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can polish a small car like an s2k by hand, but you have to lower your expectations from the result you would expect with a ROB. Apply the polish with one of those foam pads that is wrapped in microfiber. Buy about 3 or 4 of these. You can wash and re-use. There are a bunch of good hand polishes out there, and most can also be used with an ROB. Don't use much product, as it will be hard to wipe off with a microfiber. Washing the car after the polishing is optional. Some say yes, some say no need. Then apply glaze (like Meguair's Show Car Glaze). This will fill some small scratches that remained after polishing. Then apply the wax of your choice. Just don't use a wax with a high cleaner content, or you'll remove the glaze.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my aio / sg application manually. It was a new car, so the damage was minimal. Just some sort of specks on the car. Go very, very lightly on the product for both steps. If you don't think you aren't using enough, you're probably using too much.

It took me about 1 hour for each process. I really should have done the aio two times, then two times for the sg. I took the photo below about 4 days after the sg was done.

If your car isn't in bad shape, you can do it by hand, but Wannabe has a good method of getting assistance if you want to go the machine route.

Willinathen

Old 04-09-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Apr 9 2007, 04:56 PM
post up in your local forum that you are a student who wants to learn how to polish, but you dont have a machine... say that you are willing to buy the products and even supply refreshments if someone will bring their machine and show you how to use it.
guaranteed good time, possible new friend, and shiny new car all for the cost of your products and some food.
Good advice... If someone posted that around me I'd be more than willing to help
Old 04-09-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by willinathen,Apr 9 2007, 05:26 PM
I did my aio / sg application manually. It was a new car, so the damage was minimal. Just some sort of specks on the car. Go very, very lightly on the product for both steps. If you don't think you aren't using enough, you're probably using too much.

It took me about 1 hour for each process. I really should have done the aio two times, then two times for the sg. I took the photo below about 4 days after the sg was done.

If your car isn't in bad shape, you can do it by hand, but Wannabe has a good method of getting assistance if you want to go the machine route.

Willinathen

so my process would be...

wash
clay
dry
aio
sg

and done?
i don't *think* my car is in bad shape, aside from swirls. so would this setup be fine for me?

thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Former Moderator

Im with wanabe. You can wax it nicey nicey, but polishing, no way. Youll be dead by the time you get done with the hood.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Apr 9 2007, 10:34 PM
Youll be dead by the time you get done with the hood.

your method would work.

don't expect mirrorlike shine, but at least it'll keep your car feeling smooth and not rough. good luck
Old 04-11-2007, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This is what I do every 6 months. Keeps the paint shiney and clean.

Buy a Mother's Clar Bar kit for $20. Wash the car. Clay Bar the car using Mother's Showtime that comes in the kit. Spray about two square feet and circular fashion buff the paint with the Clay Bar. Wipe immediately with a cotton towel. Rub your hand across the paint to see if it is smooth. Do it once more if necessary. You don't have to be overly agressive and put a lot of pressure on the Clay Bar when you buffing. After you finish the Clay Barring the entire car, use Zymol cleaner wax just like you did the Clay Bar. Apply to a two square foot area and remove immediately with a cotton towel. Finish the rest of the paint. Rinse the car off with water and wipe it down with a couple of towels again. You should be good for another 6 months.

I've never had to polish with a machine.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Money2536,Apr 11 2007, 01:38 PM
This is what I do every 6 months. Keeps the paint shiney and clean.

Buy a Mother's Clar Bar kit for $20. Wash the car. Clay Bar the car using Mother's Showtime that comes in the kit. Spray about two square feet and circular fashion buff the paint with the Clay Bar. Wipe immediately with a cotton towel. Rub your hand across the paint to see if it is smooth. Do it once more if necessary. You don't have to be overly agressive and put a lot of pressure on the Clay Bar when you buffing. After you finish the Clay Barring the entire car, use Zymol cleaner wax just like you did the Clay Bar. Apply to a two square foot area and remove immediately with a cotton towel. Finish the rest of the paint. Rinse the car off with water and wipe it down with a couple of towels again. You should be good for another 6 months.

I've never had to polish with a machine.
Hold it right there.. "and circular fashion buff the paint with the clay bar.."

Correct me if I'm horribly wrong, but you NEVER do anything circular to your paint, when lengthwise motions are possible.

I was always taught, and preached lengthwise, gliding/guiding motions when claying.

I think you had a brain fart, no worries, we got your back!

Quick Reply: polishing by hand