S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Plastic Window Crease Revisited

Old 11-07-2003, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my car used with 7500 miles and the rear window looked like it was hard-baked with milk.

After looking at a few TSB's, I found that Honda recommended that I use the Meguiar's Cleaner and Polish to get that cloudy haze off. With a little elbow grease and countless Yoga positions from inside the car trying to get to those hard to reach areas, I'm finally able to see out.

Recently, I got to try Plexus and I think it's an excellent product. It reminded me a little of Pledge ™ but it removed all of the haze associated with normal use, and left a nice coating (protective layer) that allowed it to stay cleaner much longer. Spray on, spread and wipe evenly, then buff off. It's almost too easy.

I found that the plastic has a pretty bad horizontal crease that cannot be solved with Honda's recommended hot water trick. I'm about to try a heat gun from a very far distance to see if I can get better results but does this sound feasible or foolish?

My intended plan of action:

1. Clean the surface of any dirt/dust using a good microfiber cloth.

2. Use the heat gun from 2-3 feet away from the surface to slowly bring the
plastic up in temps to get it soft, working in a 1x1 section.

3. Use a water sprayer with room temp water to help cool the surface and help tighten the soft surface.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hyper-X

I found that the plastic has a pretty bad horizontal crease that cannot be solved with Honda's recommended hot water trick.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for crease prevention and window protection, i use a couple of ideas from this board:
inside the car i use a "muz mat" (soft mat that is on the rear deck to protect the window from rubbing on the hard plastic).
and when i put the top down, i always roll a large non-terry cloth towel (i use a large detailers towel) up and put it on the outside of the window to keep it from rubbing on its self. similar idea to stwok's-
i lost a towel once in an unexpected downpour- forgot it was there and put the top up quickly. noticed it as i drove off. lesson is, dont forget if you have a no-zip or towel back there!!
also use plexus a couple of times a year.
my car is over 3 years old, and the rear window is still new...
Old 11-07-2003, 08:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You live in HI. Just leave it bake in the sun for a few hours. That's a lot safer than a heat gun. Once you get the window as clear and as clean and as crease free as you possibly can, put on some static cling window tint. It'll increase the thickness of the plastic window, making it much harder to crease.
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=118889
Old 11-07-2003, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. My car isn't normally garaged and left out in the sun almost 90% of the time... but the heat from the sun doesn't seem to have any effect after 2 months so far. It could as well be beyond the point of repair and may require replacement unfortunately.

I have the muz mat on order and should be on its way to me hopefully in a month. I have 2 bath towels rolled up that I use to prevent the plastic from getting wrinkled. I also have a plan to reinforce the weak areas of the top regarding the usual wear hole areas.