S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Plastic Bumper Repair Advice

Old 07-25-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Bumper Repair Advice

All,
I backed into some junk in our garage that left a dent and kind of a "poke" pattern in the rear bumper. The plastic is definitely damaged.

Anyone ever repair this type of damage?
Not sure how to fill in the plastic poke dent, because of the flexibility of the plastic. Not too sure about the repaint. However, I'm not afraid to try with good advice.

Have a very well stocked auto body store just down the road. Just need to know if it is possible to repair a dented plastic bumper and what steps are required for the repair and repaint.

Thanks,
CB
Old 07-25-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it depends on the dent and the paint damage-

i have repaired plastic dents (and even on my car- i powerslid into a curb once and was able to rub the dent out).
if you can reach the damaged area you can do this on the car- if not, you have to drop the bumper.

first i have to say that before you do this for the first time you have to decide that you are willing to take it to the body shop if your attempt does not work. if you get to that point, then the first step is to take something not too hard (i would not use metal object for this)- i used a piece of wood on mine... next you very gently begin rubbing the dent from the inside- if it clearly has a middle, you can try starting there. on mine that got the dent back out- then you would rub around that area gently and slowly until you rub the dent out. i was able to return mine to like new shape.

next is the paint repair- if you have paint cracks or can see the actual bumper (under the paint), you will probably have to take it to the body shop...
but here are some links:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=S...=0#entry4696450
(read the entire thread and the links it refers to)

if no cracks and you can not see the plastic (the scratch is not all the way to the plastic), a porter cable (machine) and some compounds will get you new again (the compound that you need depends on the sratches- rubbing compound for the very worst , with fine cut in the middle and swirl remover for the lightest.
good info on polishing:
http://properautocare.com/witporcabpol.html
Old 07-25-2005, 01:47 PM

Unfortunately, this is a big ding.

I backed into a stepping machine that my wife has not used in TEN YEARS. yada... I digress!!!!! POS is doing nothing but taking up space!!!!!
Normally, the stook has it's own space, but this time I swapped with the wife as we were loading the RAV4 for a camping trip... damnit!

Anyway, the steps are square and I hit one of the corners, so my bumper has a puncture like wound that not only dented the plastic, but has punctured the paint and about a 1/4" round black bruise is seen.

I'll send pics.
May have to let the pros handle this one.

CB
Old 07-25-2005, 04:53 PM

In my experience with local body shops and my son's car, about 95% of the shops would not repair his bumper and wanted to replace it. His bumper had a good golf ball sixe hole and was deformed around the hole. I found a guy that restores old cars (i.e. body parts no longer exist) and he was able to repair and repaint much cheaper than a replacement. It is not "perfect" in that you can see a wave / ripple (can't really describe it) but you have to know where to look and what you are looking for to see it.

So can it be done ... yes! Are there a lot of shops willing to repair it ... probably not.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Former Moderator

We have a few shops in town that do light bumper cover repair and replacement work. For the type of damage you describe though all of them are going to want to replace the bumper cover and then paint it.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:43 PM

Actually...
I called "Space Age Paints" in Mesa, AZ. They have flexible bumper "bondo". I should be able to repair and repaint using the flexible "bondo" and original paint. I'll let you know how it goes.
What's cool about this is that if I am able to figure out how to do repairs to the plastic bumpers, I should be able to repair the dings received through normal wear and track damage.
The best solution would be to win the effin lottery, buy a big house, have a hugefied garage, and obtain a strict race car.
But in the meantime, I've got to learn how to repair the damage I incurr during day-to-day eff-ups and track damage.
What are the winning PowerBall numbers? Shit!

CB
Old 03-19-2007, 07:29 AM

Got a new ding on the rear bumper. It is a rub so there is no denting. The paint was removed to the ABS plastic.
I'm going to go by Space Age Paints today and see if I can formulate a home-grown solution.
Anyone else do their own bumper repairs?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Former Moderator

Here's a solution..... quit running into things

Did you get your original problem fixed and did it hold up?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM

LOL
You know what? Outside the little kid who opened up his daddy's huge SUV back door into my rear quarter panel and left a tiny dent, all the other incidents are mine.
Sometimes I feel like I don't deserve this car!
Track damage - rock and debris chips all along the side.
Dropped a dart on the front bumper.
While working on the engine, I put a little weight on the top front fenders... left a small dent.
Backed into the wife's stepper. I never saw it!
Last night, while moving cars around, just clipped the rear bumper of our civic with the Ss rear bumper. Scraped the paint off both cars!
I'm not a bumbling idiot driver, but sometimes I amaze myself.

I went to Space Age Paint today and purchased a few repair materials that I hope will do the job.
I'll take before and after shots for the fun of it.

Stay tuned...

CB
Old 03-19-2007, 01:12 PM

I had the unfortunate experience to hit the tread off of some 18 wheeler... I tried to miss it but the idiot in the 4x4 in front of me just ran straight over it ....which flung it in my direction..... after talking with the bodyshop they recommend a full replacement since once they are deformed they never go back to the original shape.... if its just a minor ding you can try using the flexible bondo and repainting.

I dont think that the OEM bumpers are that expensive I'd just replace it ... or use it as an excuse to add a new body kit

Quick Reply: Plastic Bumper Repair Advice