S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Painting Wheel Hubs

Old 09-30-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_9000rpm,Sep 29 2006, 03:04 PM
well i've been to 4 different stores looking for naval jelly and have yet to find it (2 hardware stores and 2 auto stores). i'm going to try simple green and see how well that works. i just picked up some dupli color caliper paint and will use what's left over to coat the outter portion of the rotors if the simple green doesn't take off the rust.
have not used this brand, but noticed that they have a where to buy on their site:

http://www.henkelca.com/scripts/mqlocator....e&var1=01-80276

amazon can get it for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-Naval-Jelly...F8&s=automotive
Old 09-30-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just finished painting my calipers and the hub portion of the rotor in my picture posted earlier. they came out great and i'm going to give it a few more coats next week, but the rust is more prominent than ever. i guess i'll have to go on another search for the naval jell today
Old 09-30-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_9000rpm,Sep 30 2006, 11:51 AM
i just finished painting my calipers and the hub portion of the rotor in my picture posted earlier. they came out great and i'm going to give it a few more coats next week, but the rust is more prominent than ever. i guess i'll have to go on another search for the naval jell today
then slap on the springs, and your set.

can you post pics of how your calipers came out??
Old 09-30-2006, 01:02 PM

i'll post pics later today. i need to get that jelly and wash the wheels a little so they look semi decent in the wash and wax forum
Old 09-30-2006, 01:38 PM

i have heard of folks using boeshield for rust, but i have not tried it... if you cant find naval jelly, it might be worth trying boeshield:

http://www.properautocare.com/boeshieldt9.html
Old 09-30-2006, 03:38 PM

Found the Naval Jelly and wanabe you were dead on when you recommended this product. it worked wonders so here's my attempt at using this super product.

there are two versions: 8oz bottle and 12oz bottle (w/spray), only a dollar difference between the two versions (3.99/4.99). i opted for the spray bottle since i already spent the weekend painting my calipers. everything is pretty straight foward. shake the bottle, apply generously to all rusted areas, wait 10mins, and wash with water. its that simple. with the spray bottle you dont even need to remove your wheels, so its as easy as washing your car. you only need to be sure of two things: shake WELL!!! and don't let it settle on any painted areas (including ur wheels). time for some pics. the final result is after one use. i have since gone through the process again.

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

after i washed off the jelly with water i ran the car around the block to remove any left over run off and achieved the look pictured above. the bottle instructs that multiple applications may be needed if the rust still exists. i almost used up the entire bottle after going through the entire process twice on all four rotors. be rust free like me and slap on some jelly asap
Old 09-30-2006, 03:41 PM

and some whorage of my calipers as requested. pics don't do them justice and i've still got three more coats or so i want to put on next week for dupli color caliper paint system. 14 bucks @ pepboys compared to the 38 dollar g2 system.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:58 PM

good golly miss molly!!!
those are some awesomely clean rotors-
and your calipers are lookin great too!

glad to see that the product worked- where did you end up finding it?

-------
just a hint for future- that stuff is pretty harsh on clearcoat and your wheels are clearcoated... safest to remove the wheels, but it looks like you were able to keep the wheels safe.

if you got the rotors from duc, be sure to show him the before and afts on this!
Old 09-30-2006, 04:02 PM

pepboys carries it. more specifically peopboys in downey, ca just incase anyone has a hard time finding it like i did

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i did get some on the wheels, but i immediately removed it with a water/soap mix and dried with a towel. my product review mentions keeping it off of any paint and the wheels.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:52 AM

Anyone ever tried to paint around the outer edge of the rotor? To keep that from rusting?

Quick Reply: Painting Wheel Hubs