S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Paint seal new Berlina?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint seal new Berlina?

Hi i am picking up a brand new S2K in Berlina today...

I am a tad worried about paint swirls....

is there anyhting i can / should do when its new?

Zeibart, diamond cote, etc?

If there is something that will help mute or prevent swirls, i ma willing to pay when its new to keep the job down over time...

I swore i would never buy black again after my 1993 del-sol, but they look so good!

Any suggestions would be great!

if there is such a product, are there drawbacks?

Cheers

Wish me luck, i get the car today!
Old 05-27-2008, 06:30 AM

Theres really not a product that will prevent swirls for years to come. The best route is just to stay on top of the wash/wax game, not run it through auto-washes (see other thread), dont use dirty towels, and don't take it to one of those cheerleader fundraiser washes either, despite how good the scenery may be...

-Matt
Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chaynes,May 27 2008, 04:29 AM
Hi i am picking up a brand new S2K in Berlina today...

I am a tad worried about paint swirls....

is there anyhting i can / should do when its new?

Zeibart, diamond cote, etc?

If there is something that will help mute or prevent swirls, i ma willing to pay when its new to keep the job down over time...

I swore i would never buy black again after my 1993 del-sol, but they look so good!

Any suggestions would be great!

if there is such a product, are there drawbacks?

Cheers

Wish me luck, i get the car today!
chaynes- first and most important... welcome to the board and to your new car. black is a great color, just takes some getting used to. have had mine about 8 years and it always looks brand new- tricks are:

1. dont use the products that you are asking about. they are detailers snake oil. expensive, and when you decide to remove swirls you remove all of the snake oil too!!

2. spend some time in the "how tos" at the top of our board

3. get in your local community on this board and post up to find a new friend who will help you learn the detailing process-

4. keep posting up questions here... its just a matter of time that a black car owner will be an expert in detailing!! soon enough you will be answering questions on this board.

the key to preventing swirls is to do it yourself, so you will know what quality of rags are being used and the products too... the reason that car washes cause swirls is not mainly the wash process its self (although it can swirl too), but instead the cheap and dirty rags that are used in the drying process- when you do it yourself, you know that your rags are clean, and that the methods are the right ones to minimize swirls---

my goal for you is to see some pics of your car after you clean it up, so you can pm me for your wash n wax wacko badge!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:20 AM

I got my 07 GPW with 4 miles on it, here are some tips:

Rule numero uno: DO NOT LET THE DEALER WASH YOUR CAR, OR EVEN SO MUCH AS TOUCH THE PAINT! Tell them first thing when you get there that you do not want your car leaned up before you take it home, or it will already be swirl city.

2. When you bring it home, you are going to notice there is a LOT of rail dust on the car. It was so noticable on my GPW, that up close it looked like a red flake in the paint. You are going to want to claybar the car.

3. If you are lucky, and got step one done, your car will probably have minimal swirls, which I would then just reccomend putting a good sealant on the car (Zaino Z2, Klasse AIO, Jetseal 109, Menzerna FMJ).

If there are a lot of noticable swirls, post back and we can talk polish.