S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

paint question

Old 10-25-2007, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint question

just a general question, looking to here some peoples opinions.

i was thinking about getting a S and paint it a nice medium red. a house of kolor, color that i saw on tv and looked badass..now would i get a red S and paint it or will the engine bay be to different, or should i do a silver or black S and have the engine bay look neutral? I know the best way to do it would be drop the motor and do the engine bay to but i would like to avoid that, any input would be greatly aprreciated.

thanks
dave
Old 10-25-2007, 05:14 AM

I have the same basic question as the above thread. I'm thinking about having my 2002 S painted "candy apple red" but the engine bay will not be painted. Presently my S is silver. Thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:36 AM

In my opinion, if you are going to change the color, change the whole car. A different color engine bay screams that you didn't take the time or money to do the color swap correctly.

It will also demolish the resale value of the car.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:10 AM

I painted two peoples cars that wanted to change the hole color.. You have to do more then just the engine bay.. If you really want it done right. You have to do all the jams like doors jams, truck jams inside the gas cap.. It
Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ebeldesign,Oct 25 2007, 10:36 AM
In my opinion, if you are going to change the color, change the whole car. A different color engine bay screams that you didn't take the time or money to do the color swap correctly.

A repainted car is virtually worthless. However, if you're going to do it at least do it right. Have all the nooks and crannies painted as well so that it looks like the car came from the factory in that color.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ebeldesign,Oct 25 2007, 08:36 AM

Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Thanks for all the advise! I'm going to keep the original color.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 AM

doesnt demolish for private sale... basically to dealerships it does... i was gonna go everything else like the jams and all that, i was just trying to avoid the engine bay, but paint everything else
Old 10-26-2007, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by puffyone,Oct 26 2007, 07:17 AM
doesnt demolish for private sale... basically to dealerships it does... i was gonna go everything else like the jams and all that, i was just trying to avoid the engine bay, but paint everything else
It absolutely demolishes the re-sale for private sale as well. No one in their right mind would buy a re-painted car. First, because they know if they try to sell/trade it to a dealer they will get nothing. Second, because a full re-paint raises a lot of questions like . . . "was this car in a major accident?" Also, if the painter does poor work that's really going to impact the re-sale especially if you get some half azz paint job where the engine bay is not re-painted like you were originally talking about.

One thing I learned when I got rid of my S2K is that if you want to get top dollar for this car you need to have one that appeals to an "enthusiast" not one that a pimply faced college kid is looking to buy and rice out. Obviously this is because college kids have zero money. An enthusiast wants a clean car. This means NO paintwork, NO body work, NO mods, LOW miles, and LIKE NEW condition.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Former Moderator

Re-painting a late model car is bad. Changing colors on a late model car is worse, especially in the way that 99% of cars get re-painted. The way to do it correctly is very expensive and time consuming and you need to document the entire process.

Quick Reply: paint question