S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

P-C VSRO Polisher #7424

Old 01-09-2001, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone on the board own or have experience using the Porter-Cable Variable Speed Random Orbit Polisher #7424?

Here's a link to the product:
http://www.porter-cable.com/cgi-bin/produc...&prod_id=7424SP

Although rather pricey, it's supposed to be the best on the market and highly recommended.

Should I have any concerns using it on my S2000 with its clearcoat finish?

Please advise.

[This message has been edited by S2000 Driver (edited January 09, 2001).]

[Edited by S2000 Driver on 01-28-2001 at 11:16 AM]
Old 01-09-2001, 08:47 AM

I personally would never use ANY kind of polisher on my car other than a diaper cloth and my hand. With ANY polisher, regardless of it's cost or how good it is compared to other polishers on the market, ALL mechanical polishers could possibly damage your paint. Nothing is as risk free as polishing by hand...

Not to mention it is just part of the nostalgia of owning a car like ours.
Old 01-09-2001, 09:08 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

I had some scratches on my hood. A guy down the street took that same machine with a foam pad(not a cutting pad) and some cleaner(meguiars I think) and went at it! It didnt burn and it took off the majority of the harshness of the scratches. Damb nice!

I would only use that if you were using it to go and restore the finish on your car. As for using it as a waxer then buffer I think hands are better.

You want to change rags and pads like crazy. So unless you got like 4 pads to wax with and 6 to polish with its not worth it.

He swears by it but its only for a profeshional to use! It can get away from you pretty easily and damage things.
When spring time comes I am going to clay bar, HD Cleans, Zymol Japon the whole car! Then let it sit for a day and polish it again then apply another coat of Japon.

After all that look super closely for any scratches that show. Then possibly borrow that Porter&Cable buffer to take them out.

NEVER FORGET YOU CAN TAKE PAINT OFF BUT YOU CANT PUT IT BACK ON!
Old 01-09-2001, 09:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Humanatek:
[B]I personally would never use ANY kind of polisher on my car other than a diaper cloth and my hand.
Old 01-09-2001, 09:19 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally posted by S2000 Driver:
That was my initial gut reaction, too.

However, it was recommended to me by someone who owns several exotics including, Ferraris, Porsches, and Jaguars which is why I'm even considering it.

Please, any feedback from other EXPERIENCED USERS before I place my order?

Thanks.

P.S. Don't ever use a diaper cloth on your finish. This is a common myth! If you read up on the subject, you'll see that the use of a terry cloth is recommended instead.
I was waiting for this topic to get moved! Well S2000Driver is right diapers have man made fibers in there like polyester and scratch the paint. Best thing is to pick up a nice tight woven terry cloth like the ones Zymol or Pinnacle have. The ones from Costco just dont cut it no more!

Old 01-09-2001, 11:15 AM
JRM

It's a good product! I've been using an random orbital buffer for more than 10 years. No damage to any autos, motorcycles, or boats I've owned.

I think that some people get confused when it comes to random orbital and high speed buffers. I would never use a high speed buffer on anything I own. High speed buffers can burn a finish and damage paint.

Random orbital buffers don't turn at enough rpm to build up friction and heat. If your not using a random orbital, you'll never realize the true shine and beauty of your paint! Plus you don't have to work so hard to get a fine swirl free shine.

The swirlling in paint generally comes from to much hand pressure with a dirty application pad or rag. Hand presure is uneven. Pressure from an random orbital is more even over a larger area.

You don't have to spend that much to get a good one though!(IMHO)
Old 01-09-2001, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one. Works great. Meguiar's has a velcro pad system for it that is great too.
Old 01-09-2001, 02:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRM:
[B]You don't have to spend that much to get a good one though!(IMHO)
Old 01-09-2001, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by KenS2K:
Meguiar's has a velcro pad system for it that is great too.
KenS2K,

I tried unsuccessfully to find Meguiar's velcro pad system on the Meguiar's web site.

Please tell me where you bought it.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2001, 12:05 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Once you get good I may have to borrow your serives.

Quick Reply: P-C VSRO Polisher #7424