S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Opinions needed on paint correction

Old 05-16-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed on paint correction

Well since I have a beater that is... well.... beat. Figured I might as well try to learn paint correction on it, who cares if I screw it up after all? So here's what we got. The car is a 1993 Civic DX. It was my brothers before becoming mine and he doesn't wash his cars ever, that and it wasn't in great shape before I got to it.

Photos are thumbnails since they are high res, click for the full image.

Our starting point. The side closest was gone over about two weeks ago. The paint came up actually white.... instead of a tan color, but I didn't get the correction on scratches and swirling I wanted. The far side has been washed and clayed but hasn't had a buffer touch it. Its pretty bad.

Here we go all taped off and a pass or two made with an orange Lake County CCS pad with 1z paint polish. Really a fairly mild combination so its not a huge shock that there's not too much difference.

After toying with this section for a good hour or so I looked up what pads I have. Lo and behold, I have a yellow Lake County CCS pad, almost their most aggressive pad. Couple that with some 1z paint cleaner (the most abrasive polish I have) and made five passes overall I think. This is the result.

Here is the side I did tonight.

And the side I did last time (which was just washed this evening).

And here we have a side by side, I believe this was after treatment with some optimum opti-seal and then optimum spray wax (why use the good stuff?).

I think there is a significant difference, but it may just be that I did all the work and want to think there is. Now the questions are, other than a rotary, what combinations/pads ect should I take a look at to improve my correction? I did realize I was using WAY too much polish the other week and have cut that back considerably. Didn't have any splatter tonight. So yeah, bounce some ideas of me!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

agree with you that 1z is prob not aggressive enough for your situation -
i have used the most aggressive 1z and found it to be more like a fine cut than a compound -
its been awhile since my 1z test, but kinda doubt that they changed it much.
a car that old will need more like a compound -
first thing you need to know is whether that car was clearcoated. if not, you will need some specialty products.
if so you would compound the car then step-down, prob to a fine cut type polish. then finish it with a swirl remover.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:43 AM

The car is cleared. What would you recommend as far as a compounding compound (for lack of a better word). And would you recommend a more aggressive wool pad or stick with the LC Yellow?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

doesn't sound like the pad is the problem as much as the polish/compound used. the 1Z stuff might end up being perfect for finishing down, but maybe you just need something with more cut. If anyone is local to you, try to borrow some from them. I can't imagine yellow+ heavy polish/compound NOT being enough.

still looks like good work though! it's clear in those pics that things are cleaning up!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 AM

Alright, I really doubt anyone is close enough to me to justify driving all over creation for some polish. Thoughts on the Menzerna (sp) SIP or do I need to go to an actual compound like the Menzerna Power Gloss?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Menzerna SIP with an orange pad followed by PO85rd with a blue pad should yield some nice results for you and it will then be LSP ready.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ +1

always is a good combo to go with it seems