S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Ok to wax on protective coating

Old 08-05-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok to wax on protective coating

I had my MY04 for 3 months now. The dealer put on a paint protective coating called Dynakote, suppose to seal in the paint against sunlight for years. Is it ok to use Klass AIO and wax on my car? Will other cleaner deterior the coating?
Is the Dynakote coating really effective?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2004, 01:54 PM

I'm sorry, but I've never put ANY faith in dealer installed wonderment protective coatings IMHO trust that and you will watch your paint slowly deteriorate (Edit: if you do not further protect it).

I would say stick to putting either pure synthetic or pure carnuba products over it (read: not cleaner waxes) and you will be fine.

Travis
Old 08-05-2004, 06:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

travis is right on here...
probably the main problem with the dealer sold "permanent coatings" is that they will be removed when you do your first swirl removal- usually about 6 months to a year after the car hits the road.
protectants that do not contain cleaners should be fine-
the safest (over your protectant) will be carnubas which only last about a month or so in most climates this time of year.
if you can find a website that gives us the tech info on the contents of your coating, we can probably figure out a longer lasting synthetic to cover it with.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest removing the "miracle in a bottle" before using other products. Although you can get away without doing this, there is something called cross-polymerization, where differing products cause uneven amounts of polymers to build up, which can cause a "clouding"effect (temporary) or uneven areas of shine, or even a distinct "silvery" sheen effect, especially on dark colors. Use a good polish like Meguiar's #7 (or #5 if the car is new, and if you can find it), or Pinnacle Paintwork Cleaner - these products work very well. Then, apply the wax (or wx polish or wax finish - the names vary) protectant.

For most people, an all in one cleaner/wax applied every 3 months does the job. These prtoducts contain both chemical and mechanical (light abrasive) cleaners, to strip off old wax, industrial fallout, road film from gas and diesel fuels, and so forth. These cleaner/waxes almost always contain synthetic and/or natural waxes, silicones for ease of application/removal, protection, and longevity, and sometimes polymers for added protection and shine. Some use acrylic polymers, such as in Klasse All-in-One. Zymol's cleaner/wax is excellent, as is Meguar's #6.

Those "miracle coatings" are high profit items for dealers, and of course, they are "forever" - they want you to come back every few months for a "booster" - how does a booster application jibe with forever?

There is dispute about "permanent coatings", like those with Dup[ont Teflon or its generic equivalent, PTFE. For years, DuPont said that there was no benefit in using PTFE in car waxes, but now they are marketing their own products made by another company. I contacted DuPont, and they said that advances in "PTFE resins" caused the change of heart, and that products with PTFE do provide a long lasting, tough finish on car paint. They did not suggest that those coatings were permanent.

There is a company marketing a product they claim is guaranteed for many years - 5 Star Shine. It is based on PTFE resins, and has been around since at least 1992, based on the patent I read (yes, it is as far as I can tell the only car polish with a US Patent). The product comes in a kit for about $65.

I tend to stick with quality products from companies with a long track record. I do like Zaino on the S2000, but Meguiar's NXT provides a very nice finish, and has mild cleaners in it, and does not take forever to dry. I use Klasse AIO on the day to day cars, and NXT on my Acura TL.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:53 AM

First of all, thanks alot guys.

I've bought Klasse AIO, Klasse Sealant Glaze, and P21S.
Seems like you guys suggest Carnauba Wax over coating only. Wax/Cleaner like AIO over coating is a no no? since it will deteriorate the coating?
Anyone used Klasse Sealant Glaze yet? Just wondering how it is compared to others like P21S.

Thanks again,
Old 08-09-2004, 01:15 PM

I am a big NXT fan for many reasons. First off, unlike that zaino crap . . .. . you can find NXT in any Wal-Mart. Secondly the shine and durability is outstanding.

One thing to note. NXT has a "solvent" in it. That means you can't layer it so you will have to put a carnauba over it if you want layers and layers of was. Applying layers of NXT essentially reduces the effectiveness of the previous layer by removing most of it as you buff in the current layer. But, NXT is synthentic and provides an excellent shine. It has a booster spray wax the the in-between times.