S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Ok guys I got a couple of questions...

Old 12-22-2004, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Ok guys I got a couple of questions...

Well guys I have been thinking about the condition my S is in and being the perfectionist that I am, I can't continue to see my car like this. Now keep in mind that I am the second owner that this S has had and the previous owner didn't seem to have as much love for this car as I do. So let me see where I can start:

To begin there's the convertible top, my soft top is in need of replacing. There are rips that are starting to show right by the sides of the windows, where the doors open, and the top seems to be getting dryer and dryer. I wanted to know what was the most cost efficient way to fix this problem. The rear plastic window is in good condition, but the top isn't......

Secondly, there's my seats. My passenger seat isn't worn much, but the drivers is incredibly worn. I know that new OEM seats will run me allot of money, but i have seen on these forums that there are owners who seem to have gotten their seats reapulstered, and the final look is pretty good. So I was wondering what was the best route to getting my seats to look pimpin again, lol........

Then there's my front bumper, the previous owner didn't seem to understand that this car doesn't seem to have much clearance, so most of the bottom of the bumper is scrapped. As far as this problem goes, I am just going to replace it with either the Top Secret front bumper or the J's Style front bumper, I am leaning more for the Top Secret one. So where can I find these bumpers for a good price......

Finally there's my S's liquids that need to be changed. I need to change my diff fluid, tranny fluid, and engine fluid, seeing that my car has already reached 30,000 miles. My last oil change I went synthetic with Mobil 1 and I have no complaints, but when it comes down to tranny and diff I am not sure which liquids to go with. I was hoping for any suggestions concerning which lubricants would be the best, and where I might be able to get them done (of course I would buy the oil's and take it for them to do) since the oil change was a PIA to do last time........

I know that the last one is more of a Under the Hood forum but i was hoping that you guys had some input too. I really appreciate any help that you guys can offer....

Thanks In Advance,
Revs9k01
Old 12-22-2004, 10:59 AM

I forgot to mention that my top doesn't leak because of the rips since it is right over the drainage ducts........
Old 12-22-2004, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Revs9k 01,Dec 22 2004, 11:48 AM
Well guys I have been thinking about the condition my S is in and being the perfectionist that I am, I can't continue to see my car like this. Now keep in mind that I am the second owner that this S has had and the previous owner didn't seem to have as much love for this car as I do. So let me see where I can start:

To begin there's the convertible top, my soft top is in need of replacing. There are rips that are starting to show right by the sides of the windows, where the doors open, and the top seems to be getting dryer and dryer. I wanted to know what was the most cost efficient way to fix this problem. The rear plastic window is in good condition, but the top isn't......

Secondly, there's my seats. My passenger seat isn't worn much, but the drivers is incredibly worn. I know that new OEM seats will run me allot of money, but i have seen on these forums that there are owners who seem to have gotten their seats reapulstered, and the final look is pretty good. So I was wondering what was the best route to getting my seats to look pimpin again, lol........

Then there's my front bumper, the previous owner didn't seem to understand that this car doesn't seem to have much clearance, so most of the bottom of the bumper is scrapped. As far as this problem goes, I am just going to replace it with either the Top Secret front bumper or the J's Style front bumper, I am leaning more for the Top Secret one. So where can I find these bumpers for a good price......

Finally there's my S's liquids that need to be changed. I need to change my diff fluid, tranny fluid, and engine fluid, seeing that my car has already reached 30,000 miles. My last oil change I went synthetic with Mobil 1 and I have no complaints, but when it comes down to tranny and diff I am not sure which liquids to go with. I was hoping for any suggestions concerning which lubricants would be the best, and where I might be able to get them done (of course I would buy the oil's and take it for them to do) since the oil change was a PIA to do last time........

I know that the last one is more of a Under the Hood forum but i was hoping that you guys had some input too. I really appreciate any help that you guys can offer....

Thanks In Advance,
Revs9k01
wow thats a lotta qs in one post!!!
i will give this a try, and hopefully someone else will have ideas too:

soft top replacement is a real pia i have been told. but there are good instructions in the shop manual.

for the seats- check out some aftermarket seats if you like the racing look... or if not, you need a good leather shop in your area to do the leather replacement. imo, its best to do entire sections at the same time, cause the areas you do will look different from the rest.

for top secret prices, i would post up in s2ki marketplace on this board

for your fluids, my only suggestion is to get a fumoto valve for your oil if you do it yourself- i have one and its great (flip a lever and the oil runs out)... for the other fluid ideas, post up in the under the hood section on this board. i run royal purple for my synthetic oil... lasts nicely and does a great job.

anything we can help you with on the shine side of your new baby??
Old 12-22-2004, 11:17 AM

Wow wanabe I really appreciate the quick response to the post and as far as shine well my car has lost it's glossyness in certain areas, and i wanted to know how i can get it back.......
Old 12-22-2004, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Revs9k 01,Dec 22 2004, 12:17 PM
Wow wanabe I really appreciate the quick response to the post and as far as shine well my car has lost it's glossyness in certain areas, and i wanted to know how i can get it back.......
now thats something we can help with!!!

the name of the game for returning shine is "polish".

polish is a step that requires more work than most folks are used to, but it is the step that can take an abused finish and make it look like new.

the first thing you need to do is evaluate the finish to determine which of the many choices of polishes makes the most sense. if the finish is in bad shape, you might need several different polishes to get it back to new.

one of my fav summaries of the polishing procedure is here:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=17

after you check that out, post back any questions!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:36 AM

Wow thanks alot again, your one kick ass moderator!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:08 PM

the link that you gave me was awsome! but as far as chossing a polish im not too sure especially when i read that u can take some of your paint off!

"With clean hands, run your fingertips across the paint surface. It should feel very smooth, like glass. If it doesn't, you're feeling the contaminants and oxidation on the surface of the paint."

Thats what i feel, so what should i use to polish this baby???????

I also have some light swirls all over the hood........
Old 12-22-2004, 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=Revs9k 01,Dec 22 2004, 01:08 PM] the link that you gave me was awsome! but as far as chossing a polish im not too sure especially when i read that u can take some of your paint off!

"With clean hands, run your fingertips across the paint surface.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:32 PM

So let me see if i follow,

first i clean my car like usual and then dry it off
then i go ahead and use a paint cleaner (polisher)
then swirl remover
and then i finish it off by waxing so i seal in the polish??????
Old 12-22-2004, 12:40 PM

Oh wait a minute i see the polisher is the swirl remover, am i right????

Quick Reply: Ok guys I got a couple of questions...