S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

OEM Car Cover / Indoor vs Outdoor

Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Default OEM Car Cover / Indoor vs Outdoor

So, I was informed in my other thread I posted in s2000 talk that Honda made a change to their car covers.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=741394

As a third S2000 owner (and now a CR owner), the regular cover I had before on my ap2 does not fit (laundry hanger wing is too big).

Anyway, I ordered the OEM car cover, and I got something that looks totally different from my original cover (which was designed for indoor use and felt much softer).

The new cover feels like cardboard... The label says it is "Honda Custom-Patterned Technalon Car Cover made by Evolution Fabric" Apparently, Honda made their new car covers for all-weather rather than indoor use only.. but why? Is this all-weather one more abrasive? More scratch concerns?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-01-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the "old" cover was a dust cover... you can still get them i think from handa accessories
check this out:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-04ext.html

the one you have sounds like the second one on the page above.

i have the dust cover and love it so much that i have two. it is soft, breathes well and has a light padding. it is not for rain or weather. this new one sounds like it is a weather cover.

did you new cover come from a dealer?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Yep, Honda part # box and everything. The problem is, the cover I purchased was the only part # I could find for the CR. I had/had a dust cover before and I sold it because it no longer fit because of the gigantic laundry-hanger on the back

I'm wondering if this new cover will scratch the paint or anything (I know that anything that touches the paint will have that potential).. I've slid the cover a few times while trying to get it on and I keep cringing of the thought to find lines all over the hardtop come spring time.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully someone who has used an Evolution car cover can chime in. It's a pretty standard car cover material. My cover's made from Weathershield so I really can't comment on the Evolution fabric.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got 2 covers when I got my 2006 from the first owner in Florida. He goes to his attic and is like, "Oh yeah, I have 2 covers, toneau cover, yadda yadda..." The first cover he gave me was very thin and plastic-like which I assume is for rain/weather. The second cover he gave me was much thicker, heavier, and softer which I assume is for indoors-only. I can take pics later if you want.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

The all-weather one is definitely a bit more sturdy than plastic.. more like thick cardboard..if that makes sense..it's got a waffle-pattern to it..

The indoor-only dust cover looks like this.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky,Nov 2 2009, 11:14 AM
The all-weather one is definitely a bit more sturdy than plastic.. more like thick cardboard..if that makes sense..it's got a waffle-pattern to it..
Well, I guess "plastic-like" is the wrong term. I definitely would not say it's thick cardboard though. I guess you could compare it to the material used for canopy tops like the 10'x10' canopies you see at autocrosses or car shows.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an evo 4 season. Works great. For realworld rain and dust I would tape the seams to avoid dust lines. Its overkill for garage use.

It is very soft on the inside, but I do get very fine scratches because of the damn dryfall dust in the 3-4 hours between washing and covering, but that is true with any cover. Buffs out in seconds.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, I was looking into ordering one for my CR as well. All I need is the soft indoor one though. What happend to that nice blue color honda use to do for the civic's and such.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I looked the other day and they don't have an indoor only so I didn't have much of a choice...

Quick Reply: OEM Car Cover / Indoor vs Outdoor