S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

OEM Car Cover

Old 06-09-2005, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Car Cover

OEM Car Cover..

Can it be used outside? Just wondering...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

If it doesn't rain

Even if it does, it's just a PITA to take care of/dry out - it won't protect the car from the rain at all and might induce some scratching. Keeping it clean requires a full-size washer/laundromat trip, too...

I've got one and haven't used it in a looong time.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:45 PM

full-size washer shouldn't be a problem, my parents own a coin laundry...heheh

Cool, hopefully it won't rain tonight.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

living in oc you might be o.k. most of the time with the dust cover...
i have 2 of the oem covers i love them so much- mainly cause i can have a clean one when i detail the car (not a good idea to cover a freshly detailed car with a dirty cover!)
they are very soft and decent padding.
great for keeping the top down and keeping hands outa the car. also good at keeping dings off of the car. and finally, a good cover keeps the car clean-
Old 06-10-2005, 07:18 AM

I've heard you want to be careful using car covers outside.....ESP if it is windy. The wind can cause the cover to move back and forth over the paint surface causing scratches....
Old 06-10-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeemz,Jun 10 2005, 07:18 AM
I've heard you want to be careful using car covers outside.....ESP if it is windy. The wind can cause the cover to move back and forth over the paint surface causing scratches....
only if the car is dirty and its really windy.
usually does not get that windy where he is- or where i am.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no covered parking and my assigned spot is under a number trees. The dust cover keeps the sap and the bird poop off. It does not keep the rain out. If you have any dust on the car and it rains while covered the car gets some spots on it. Plus its a real pain to use a wet cover ( I usually throw mine in the dryer if its really wet)

If you are going to be keeping it outside and it rains a lot you may want to invest in a water resistent cover. You will lose the custom fit which is nice. Particularly the little antenna hole.

I've had mine for several months and I have no complaints. I haven't had too much problem with scrathcing or swirling but all covers will give you some swirl. Luckily I have the silerstone which is good at hiding things. In a couple of months I'll be moving and getting a garage I doubt I'll use it inside.

M
Old 06-12-2005, 12:50 PM

I use mine outside...
I do have a carport though so for the most part my car is covered. Although my carport is the only one that cascades a waterfall after the rain and only at my spot. So my car does get some water action and my cover beads up rain really nice and doesn't seem to hold it in either.
Although for a completely outside vehicle it may not be the best...

Try Covercraft... they make custom fit covers and in several materials from dust cover to full outside.
Expensive though for the top of the line material in a custom fit.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I had never thought of it before, but day1si's mention of beading made me think... why not treat the cover with a nice application (or two) of Scotchguard or equivilent... At least it'd be water resistant, if not waterproof. For light sprinkles, dew, maybe even a light shower, depending on how well the protectant works. Hmm...
Old 06-13-2005, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had never thought of it before, but day1si's mention of beading made me think... why not treat the cover with a nice application (or two) of Scotchguard or equivilent... At least it'd be water resistant, if not waterproof. For light sprinkles, dew, maybe even a light shower, depending on how well the protectant works. Hmm...
I thought of that. but I wasn't sure if that could damage the paint. I know it would be on the other side of the cover but....

If anyone has tried this I'd like to know

Quick Reply: OEM Car Cover