S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Nu-Finish Polisher

Old 06-06-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Nu-Finish Polisher

I was in a rush and didn't think I would need any polishing or claying so I just bought sealant and carnauba wax. My friend suggested the extra pre-wax step so as I was at wal-mart filling up on cleaning items, saw Nu finish Polisher and grabbed one. Which polish paste/spray do you use? Anything from Wal-Mart seems skeptical besides McGuiars. This is my first time polishing so I'm not too sure of the brand.

plans: wash, clay, rinse, polish (microfiber or regular towel is ok?), sealant (buffer machine?), then wax (buffer definately), then microfiber excess wax. <I only have one good microfiber so any suggestions where it matter the most to use is greatly appreciate.

these steps are right, yes?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:53 AM

I don't think your 1 microfiber will cut it. You can go out to the store and pick up a few more, or if you aren't in a rush, get some good ones online.

That said, to answer your other questions...

I used Nu Finish once on my old car and it was just ok. I didn't really think it did much, and as most of the guys here will tell you, you need a PC (or other dual action) to really get good use out of a polish. The only "scratch repair" product that I have been told works well by hand is Scratch X.

Reading over your list of steps I think you are a little off. I'd try something like this:

Wash (don't bother to really dry if you are claying)
Clay
Wash & Dry
Polish (or maybe a cleaner wax, Target sells the Zymol stuff. If you do polish and have a PC use it here)
Sealant
Wax (this can be done by hand, paste waxes usually include a little applicator pad)

You seem to be in a rush and I think you should slow it down. Get yourself the right supplies and products and do the job right the first time. If you are going to take the time to do all of this stuff, you may as well have everything you need to do it rather than have to go back and redo it once you have the products you want.

This is all just my 2cents. I am still a W&W Wacko In-Training. There are a lot of guys here far more knowledgeable than I.

Good Luck.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

agree with dmw16-
you will need lotsa mf towels... dont cheapen out here- the reason is to keep swirls down- worth it.

have used nu finish years ago and it was fine back then... modern synthetics are better- but i say go for it since you have it. or if you want to try it first on a beater car (or a friends car who wants some free protection!). then you can see if you like it. nothing wrong with it, just not the most durable and best shine you can get these days, imo.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:46 AM

thanks for the heads-up. I'll return the Nu finish tomorrow and pick up a couple more mf. I have the Klasse AIO that says it polishes too. Can I just use this after claying and skip the separate polishing step? I think I bought this Klasse high gloss for the purpose of a sealant, then top off with Pinnacle wax.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

people use the term polish differently-

most detailers use it to mean removal of a micro amount of clear coat to remove paint imperfections- klasse and others use it to mean something a bit different-
aio is a great product, but i would not use it for removal of swirls or scratches- if you dont have a swirl problem, go for it!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's some help:

http://bettercarcare.com/cardetailing.html