S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Noobie with first use of a Clay Bar

Old 09-24-2005, 05:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Noobie with first use of a Clay Bar

Just want to say again that I'm still very new to the cleaning process, but so far I been upgrading step by step and so far I love my car even more.

Friend of mine is one of the managers at AutoZone and I can get pretty much anything from them really cheap. So I went in there today and I saw a box that says Clay Magic. I remember reading reviews about this clay bar and for 10 bucks its not like i won't be losing much. To my surpise I got it for 4 bucks from my friend, Double Score there lol

anyways, at about 5pm I was getting ready to wash my car and so I was going last min read up on how to use the clay bar. At about 5:45 I was done washing the car so I backed it up into the garage, dried it.

Started to apply the clay lube to my driver side fender panel. I kneed the clay and made a good size circle and started to just glide the clay back and forth. I wiped off the excess and buffed it just so and I ran my hand from the hood to the fender and I can just feel the difference. But at first I thought it was really just the lube on the paint, so I was still not so 100% satisfied with it. So I did the whole car in like 45mins.

Took a glance and it looked very smooth and felt very smooth. So maybe it did work. So I took it back outside again and washed it again. By the time I was finish washing it the 2nd time and drying it, it was already 9pm. Dead tried I called it quits cleaned up and put the car back inside the garage. I felt again the paint and it was very much still smooth and it paint looked a bit wetter. It just looks and feels so different and I haven't even put on the wax yet...

So quick question, is it alright to wash your car, clay it, wash it again and then the next day put on a coat of wax? Thanks again for the help in the other thread I made about that weird rough layer on my paint. It totally took off like 95% of the roughness from the paint...I bet by next week when I wash it again and clay it, it will totally be off my car. Thanks guys, I love this forum! haha
Old 09-24-2005, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, that's a fine way to do it. I have done that before.

If you were using a cleaner wax, you could probably clay and wipe down with the detailer spray, then wax. Skip the wash step.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, i agree with skier219-
i would do a visual inspection... as long as it looks clean, and you didnt drive it, shouldnt be any problem to wax the next day.
if you are concerned, you could dust the car (with a car duster) and then use a carnuba based detailers spray if you will be waxing or a synthetic if you will be using a synthetic. exception would be zaino- it needs to be applied directly to the clear coat.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe,Sep 24 2005, 08:57 PM
yeah, i agree with skier219-
i would do a visual inspection... as long as it looks clean, and you didnt drive it, shouldnt be any problem to wax the next day.
if you are concerned, you could dust the car (with a car duster) and then use a carnuba based detailers spray if you will be waxing or a synthetic if you will be using a synthetic. exception would be zaino- it needs to be applied directly to the clear coat.
Not to beat a dead horse but . . . As long as you don't drive the car anywhere you can do that. However, if you drove the car then you should wash it or wipe it down with a good detailer spray. Otherwise, the dirt collected on your car will scratch the paint when you wax.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a clay bar newbie too! I just did the clay bar thing to my car today. Paint is a lot more smooth. I washed, clay bar with detailer spray, then I put on a coat of cleaner's wax. Man, it was quite the workout, especially since I just finished swimming for 2 hours! Took me about 4 hours.