S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

noob with detailing advice needed

Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob with detailing advice needed

fellows, as i am looking foward to detail my RYP cr soon, because with such color like yellow, even the slightest dirt or contaminant on the car will be so visible so what im looking for is a super wet look finish with depth and shine! but the problem is im a total noob with this kind of stuff. so if you guys can just throw any suggestions at me with some nice product that will give a yellow car a super wet look/depth/shine to it! thank you! i also notice swirls on the paint too so... help me! please, and thank you in advance
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Former Sponsor

sure thing what did you have in mind as a budget? also to remove the swirls you will need to pick up an orbital polisher?

can you post some photos of the swirls on your car?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 AM

Budget around 200? I don't know what's a reasonable amount of budget I need to set so I guess I don't mind. Here are a couple of picture I took just now at work. And sure I will pick up a orbital polisher. What ever I need I'm down

Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's going to cost more than $200.

You need a polisher ($120), backing plate ($10), pads ($25), compound ($20), polish ($20), wax ($20), clay($15), and microfiber towels ($15).

Total, at least $250.

Note that these numbers are estimates and I haven't bought anything in almost two years, so prices may have changed, either in reality, or in my head.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

look online for package deals.
some places put together, a polisher, pads, compounds, sealants, and towels all together.

Porter Cable Polisher
2 white 5.5" pads for polishing(shouldnt need anything more aggressive than white with that paint you showed)
2 black or blue pads for applying a final sealant/wax
Mequires m105 and m205(i rarely use m105 but its nice to have for deeper scratches, m205 on a white pad should be enough to get yours out)
I use Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant and apply it with blue or black pad
Get the THICKEST microfibers you can find online, i doubt you will ever find good stuff locally, those glass towels you find at wal-mart are junk and they will not pick up the wax/compounds you try and remove.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dwight
I think it's going to cost more than $200.

You need a polisher ($120), backing plate ($10), pads ($25), compound ($20), polish ($20), wax ($20), clay($15), and microfiber towels ($15).

Total, at least $250.

Note that these numbers are estimates and I haven't bought anything in almost two years, so prices may have changed, either in reality, or in my head.
sounds reasonable can i find all that in autozone?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
look online for package deals.
some places put together, a polisher, pads, compounds, sealants, and towels all together.

Porter Cable Polisher
2 white 5.5" pads for polishing(shouldnt need anything more aggressive than white with that paint you showed)
2 black or blue pads for applying a final sealant/wax
Mequires m102 and m205(i rarely use m105 but its nice to have for deeper scratches, m205 on a white pad should be enough to get yours out)
I use Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant and apply it with blue or black pad
Get the THICKEST microfibers you can find online, i doubt you will ever find good stuff locally, those glass towels you find at wal-mart are junk and they will not pick up the wax/compounds you try and remove.
very specific i like that! i saw some where in the forum talking about 'zaino'? or mequires is good enough for a starter like me? sorry for my dumbness what does the 'thickest microfiber towels' mean? and what does it do? as in application wise?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The forum sponsor Phil at DetailersDomain is very knowledgeable and helpful. He's known to be good at listening to what a customer really wants to achieve then recommending appropriate products/tools to achieve that. Or to explain to the customer that that level of perfection isn't going to happen at that price point.

Why don't you contact him?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You won't be able to find anything at autozone....except maybe the Meguires m105 and m205....i havent looked though although they do sell some meguires stuff I think.
The microfibers I meant to get the thickest ones you can get, not the thin wash cloth style towels.
Get these
http://www.detailersdomain.com/The-O...x16_p_574.html
and not these
http://www.detailersdomain.com/The-O...x16_p_574.html

get this
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Megui...-oz_p_305.html
get these
http://www.detailersdomain.com/5-Pac...nch_p_297.html
get a good drying towel, as most swirls are made during the washing and drying process
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-...x36_p_575.html
get two of these for your 5 gallon wash buckets( prevents dirt from being caught in your wash mitt, one for the clean soapy water and one for the rinse water
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Grit-Guard_p_81.html
one good wash mitt
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-...-V2_p_515.html
and your choce of sealant/wax, a sealant is a synthetic wax, it will laster longer(3-6 months with regular washing) than a carnuba wax but wont "pop" as well , most people wont beable to tell though. Some people use one on top of the other

And as far as zaino stuff, i never used it, from what i read it was top dog some years ago, before i started detailing, its just another brand of cereal in the cereal isle as far as i am concerned. Pain in the butt to remove from what i read. There are things way better since new technology advanced

here is a before picture

Horrible Swirls removed by m105 and m205
and after(they are still in the clear bra, hadnt done that yet but the stuff works as you can see

Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
You won't be able to find anything at autozone....except maybe the Meguires m105 and m205....i havent looked though although they do sell some meguires stuff I think.
I agree with everything here. You can also find Meg's Ultimate Polish and Compound in auto parts stores, but you won't find good microfiber towels, pads, applicators, or a good polisher there.

Speaking of applicators, non-CR people will also want a foam applicator and some 303 Protectant (blue label, not green) for their softtops.

Quick Reply: noob with detailing advice needed