S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Newbie here!

Old 04-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here!

So I promised myself with my first car that was decent (it just so happens that my first car is quite 'decent' to say the least! [16.. just bought it about 2 months ago.. with my own money. Just got a loan from my parents but I'm paying her month by month ]) Anyways.. so I want to become a wash and wax wacko but don't know where to start. I always just went with my dad to the gas station.. filled her up and went through the car wash.

Don't worry, I will NEVER do this to my S! I know it can screw up the clear coat over time. Anyways, I was going to get the Meguiars Gold Class kit, but when I PMed wanabe, he said it wasn't necessary.

So.. with all the background info out of the way. I was looking into the Sonus Pro wash kit (comes with the Sonus Soap, Microfibre weave towel, and the wool mit) is this a good start? THing is.. along with being new, I have nothing to wash my car by hand to my name. Except.. the armoral rim cleaner that my dad uses on his car.. AND THE GLASS CLEANER TOO!! But other than that.. nothin'.

I know I've read this forum up and down and it's all a matter of opinion.. But I'm really look to you guys for YOUR opinions. Call me a biter.. or a copy cat.. But I'm pretty sure a lot of you know exactly what you're talking about.

Opinion away!!

Thanks in advance,
-Aaron
Old 04-23-2006, 01:13 PM

After you have read up on how to wash, wax apply etc. of products. It becomes your choice on what products you buy. I'm sure many will chime in and disagree with me, but if I were you I would start with some of the basics. Hose, bucket, wash mitt, car soap, cleaner wax, wax, applicators, microfiber towels, and an absorber. This is as basic as you can get. Go to your local walmart and buy the stuff. I would recommend either Meguire's or Mothers since they carry both. After you have a good grasp on how to do everything. Then I would start to spend the money on more expesive products via mail order etc. This way you can also appreciate later on what you might spend your money on.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I use a few of the AutoGlym products.

Soon to be a PC boy too.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:59 PM

You'll find that there are different factions within the Wash&Wax Wackos. Those who love Zaino, those who don't. I'm a Zaino fan. I don't want to start a WnW civil war here (plenty of threads on that), so I'll leave the decesion up to you. I started with a Zaino kit (soap, wax, leather care, etc...), have tried other products, and always came back to the big Z.

Other than the product line you choose (or mix/match), you'll want to get a big blue or two (it's a big, blue microfibre towel), and a couple of smaller micro fiber towes (each one should have a unique use, like windows, leather, spot dry, etc...). Get yourself a little seat on wheels, it makes detailing your wheel a LOT easier.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=mrmophandle,Apr 23 2006, 08:59 PM] You'll find that there are different factions within the Wash&Wax Wackos.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Apr 23 2006, 10:47 PM
No offense, but I think dividing the car care world into Zaino and everything else is ridiculous. There are SO many brands out there and all of them have their benefits and weaknesses.

I'm not going to start a debate about whether to use Zaino or not, but suffice it to say that Zaino has just as many weaknesses as any other brand. I have yet to find a single brand that is perfect in every way and is the perfect product for everyone's situation.
Exactly, this is just the reason to start with some less expensive products so that he may find what he likes and then be able to compare over the years, months etc. Zaino is also pretty expensive.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Apr 23 2006, 10:47 PM
No offense, but I think dividing the car care world into Zaino and everything else is ridiculous. There are SO many brands out there and all of them have their benefits and weaknesses.
I 100% agree. I didn't want to start listing out all the other products, and leave a major player out of the list (hence offending someone). I didn't mean to imply that Zaino was flawless, I'm sure there are WAY better products out there. The point I attempted to make was I started/settled on Zaino, more specifically to the original question, I selected the Zaino starter kit.

I think trying each product for yourself is the only way to decide what works for you.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by mrmophandle,Apr 24 2006, 09:56 AM
I think trying each product for yourself is the only way to decide what works for you.
Very sage advice.

Mike Philips who works in this industry has a saying:

"Find something you like and use it often."