S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Newbie: baffled over top care

Old 07-20-2003, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie: baffled over top care

Is there a consensus on what is the best thing to clean and seal our vinyl convertible tops. I realize that this has been heavily debated in the past. I have did the "search engine thang" on this til I am bout to go nuts! Never owned a soft top before, want to do it right the first time. I have read that Vinylex and 303 work well, but will film windows after a rain. Raggtop is billed as the #1 product by top manufacturers, but some have had problems with it staining their tops. What is true and what is misinformation? What is the best care for the top?
Old 07-20-2003, 08:35 PM

Raggtop has worked great for me. Easy to apply, looks great, no staining problems.
-Glen
Old 07-20-2003, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since our tops are made of vinyl, I would say that you want a product made just for vinyl tops. I treat mine to a wash with the same soapy water that I use on the rest of the car. Dust is the worst enemy of this top. Some would say that UV damage should be considered also.

To combat the dust problem, I wash mine every time I wash the car. Several times a year, I treat the top with a vinyl protectant very sparingly. I use a rag dampened with the protectant and wipe the top with it. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe off any excess protectant. This will protect the top and prevent any milky residue when it gets wet. I have not had any problems doing this, in this manner.

The top does not need to be "sealed" with anything as it is waterproof from the factory and will be for the life of the top. If you should need a cleaner (bird mess, etc.), I have a heavy duty vinyl cleaner that works well for me. I have only used it once or twice in two years. You should be able to find products locally at either motorcycle shops or boating stores.

Have fun,
Bob
Old 07-21-2003, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my soft top I have tried the 303 Kit but found the Porsche Cabriolet Kit to work better. no joke !

My soft beads well , and the porsche stuff cleared off bird poo much better in cleaning tests that I've done. (and I do them regularly)

It's double the price and less maintenance than the applications of 303.

But the basic rules are wash it with a mild detergent , then apply a specific cleaner while damp, and then apply the sealing and protectant afterwards.

I treat the soft top as a separate "wash" job by itself.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

or you can try my method-
keep the top under the boot!
3 years old and it has only been washed once (didnt need it either)... used vinylex on it.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:56 PM

Wanabe --- I may have to. I cannot keep my 5 y.o. daughter's cat of the top when it is up. Can't dispose of cat, without breaking her heart.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:10 PM

Check out www.properautocare.com for a variety of products. S2ksimon uses the Porsche kit, but Porsche has a cloth (or fabric) top and we have a vinyl top. I use 3M's 303 cleaner when I wash the top, then, after I thoroughly dry the car, I let it sit overnight to air dry. Then I put on the 303 Aerospace Protectant and let that dry thoroughly.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:46 PM

Try "Scat Mat" to train the cat to stay off the car. It really works!
-Glen
Old 07-22-2003, 04:34 AM

Where do you get a "scat mat"? Just ran the "kitty with a deathwish" off my top about 5 min. ago.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:11 AM

Check out www.bizrate.com for places that carry scat mats.

Quick Reply: Newbie: baffled over top care